Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Week 4 - The Road Team Always Wins

Last week, 7 road teams won out of the 14 games played. This week, it's extremely likely (or at least I think it is likely) that 8 road teams could win, and I even have Arizona winning at home. Whatever happened to home field advantage? Are there just not enough crazies out there like in Cleveland and Oakland to make a home field advantage? Not really sure. And yes, I realize it's hard to have a home field advantage in Cleveland this year with 1 out of every 3 players injured each week.

On to the games...

Manwich-sized Matchup:
Atlanta @ Carolina-
The Falcons are undefeated, but they've only faced San Fran, St. Louis, and Arizona. For those who are slow let me summarize--- the Falcons have yet to venture outside of the pathetic NFC West, and this is certainly their first test. The Falcon defense has looked incredible, but I'm curious to see what happens against Delhomme and Foster. Once again, I have to go with the home team, which is now 3-0 in the Manwich-Sized Matchup.
Pick: Carolina
Upset of the Week:
New Orleans @ Arizona-
Most people would pick Arizona to go 0-16. But I saw a lot of positives in their 6-3 loss to the Falcons last week. Their defense is actually above average. The Saints defense is a lot worse than the Falcons, so I'm sure Arizona can score more than 3 points. In addition, the game is in Arizona where it is really hot, and this reminds me of how Arizona shocked Green Bay at home last year on an unseasonably warm day.
Pick: Arizona
New England @ Buffalo-
Both of these teams are coming off of byes. Give Belichick 2 weeks to disect your team and you can ensure a big fat "L."
Pick: New England
Oakland @ Houston-
Well, my 2004 Sleeper Team, the Houston Texans finally won a game. This will be yet another shootout. Let's just go with the home team.
Pick: Houston
Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh-
I think it's becoming pretty aparent that Bengals coach Marvin Lewis didn't actually COACH the 2000 Baltimore Ravens defense; he just inherited some fantastic defensive talent. We've all played Madden. Those guys had incredible rankings! When Lewis went to the Redskins for one year under Spurrier (everyone forgets this even happened) the Redskins defense stunk. Just like the Bengals. I'm noticing a trend here. Maybe Lewis should trade for GM Ozzie Newsome.
Pick: Pittsburgh
Indy @ Jacksonville-
This should be a great game- on paper. A stout defense against the best offense in the league. Peyton Manning threw for 320 yards and 5 touchdowns in the 1st half last week. The other side of the ball is a problem. Even if the Jags play good defense and get lucky like the Pats did in Week 1, there's no way the Jags are scoring over 24 points to win the game.
Pick: Indy
NY Giants @ Green Bay-
Point: Kurt Warner has regained his Superman powers! All the pollution in St. Louis resulted in increased amounts of Kryptonite in the water and Warner became useless. The change of scenery has been great for his thumb, his x-ray vision, and his speed (he ran for a TD last week).
Counterpoint: Warner was playing against the Browns last week and their backup CBs.
Pick: Green Bay
Philadelphia @ Chicago-
Did you know that THE Ohio State University Alumnus Craig Krenzel was only one more injury away from seeing action last Sunday?
Pick: Philadelphia
Washington @ Cleveland-
During the day off on Monday, 2 Browns pulled their groins while raking the leaves during filming of a United Way commerical. They gave it all for their communities.
Pick: Washington
Denver @ Tampa Bay-
Wow. I was really wrong about Tampa Bay finding a way to win last week. Oh well.
Pick: Denver
NY Jets @ Miami-
A great rivalry game, where anyone can win. Unless you have a coach w/ a really large moustache that screams, "Call me Magnum, PI."
Pick: NY Jets
Tennessee @ San Diego-
Can someone please tell Steve McNair that if he spends 2 nights in the hospital he doesn't have to play that week against the lowly Chargers? I think he's proven his toughness too many times already. And they said Brett Favre was hooked on painkillers 6 years ago, I can't even imagine what McNair is on. ("Alex, I'll take 'Mr. Ed's' Favorite Painkillers for $2000...")
Pick: Tennessee
St. Louis @ San Fran
San Fran continues the march to 2-14.
Pick: St. Louis
KC @ Baltimore
Did you know:
Ravens are: 0-1 -When Deion plays an entire game
Ravens are: 2-0 - When Deion gets injured and is not available for the entire game.
Deion "Past his Prime Time" Sanders should get the point- the Ravens are better off without him.
Pick: Baltimore

NOTE: To answer a popular question, in all games, I'm only picking the winner. I don't deal w/ the spread.
Last Week: 8-6
Season: 30-16
Manwich Matchup: 1-2 (thank you Colts)
Upset Special: 2-1 (damn Tampa Bay; I'll never trust them again)

3 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

Bold perdiction with Arizona. Is KC ever going to win?

Anonymous said...

Ok, i just didn't want a fricken ID. This is Dan here. And I have 1 comment. You guys have WAY too much time on your hand. And Ivan - why were you watching a 6-3 AZ - ATL game anyway? And if you weren't watching, how could you possibly make judgements about AZ defense?

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Dan- I didn't actually watch the Arizona game. I didn't have to. My superior analytical skills allows me to deduce that Arizona held Vick & the Falcons to 6 points. That's pretty good, considering I think the Falcons offense is pretty good.
As for the, "do we have too much time on our hands?" I would just have to say the answer is NO. It only takes me like 30 minutes to spit out an aritcle. That's a lot of fun for me, so I'll gladly take 30 minutes and then provide fun for the rest of the human race.