Tuesday, May 12, 2009

NBA Playoffs - No Regard for Human Life

With a co-worker, I stumbled upon a video on Youtube that I thought was unique to LeBron James. If this video doesn't get you pumped for the NBA Playoffs, I don't know what will.


If you couldn't watch the video, the announcer, Kevin Harlan, screams out that "LeBron James... with no regard for human life!!" This is from the Cavs-Boston 2008 Playoff series. It's such a preposterous quote that I thought it was unique to LeBron James. I was wrong. Apparently, it's this announcer's attempt at creating a tagline.

Here's a video of Kobe "with no regard for human life!"

The more I watch the videos, the more I like the tagline actually. I guess this is somehow more PC than saying, "LeBron just KILLED EVERYONE!" I was trying to think of other situations where saying "no regard for human life" could work, but it seems rather unlikely, as it sounds like you are trying to just hurt the other person. Maybe it would work well as a substitute for saying "checkmate" in Chess, though you may sound a bit cocky.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts on the NBA Playoffs thus far:
1) I'm writing this as the Lakers are up 19 points in the 1st half against the Rockets. Phil Jackson has already played Jordan Farmar as much as Derrick Fisher. The Farmer minutes have been much better for the Lakers. The reason I am writing on this is because Fisher is too slow to keep up with Houston's quick PG Aaron Brooks. Fisher put up a preposterous, team-worst, -27 in only 19 minutes in game 4... the lesson is that Fisher's suspension for Game 3 (which the Lakers dominated) was actually a blessing. At least the whole league now knows the Lakers weakness (quick PGs). Of the remaining teams though, only Boston (Rondo) would qualify in my mind for exploiting that weakness. Of course, the Lakers still have to take care of business.
2) The Nuggets are certainly playing well, as they are up 3-1 against Dallas. However, I'm reluctant to jump on their bandwagon since they played an injured Hornets team and Dallas has had Josh Howard in and out of the lineup. Granted, I can see how their strengths (big-men, Carmelo, Billups) could result in a Finals-appearance, but I'm not sold yet.
3) I kept thinking Boston would be an easy elimination without KG and Powe. The Celtics, who are now up 3 games to 2, are still very tough even without the big men. Big Baby Davis has been incredible (even w/o that buzzer beater in Game 4). It will be interesting to see who survives the Celtics-Magic series. I still am of the opinion that the Cavs have the most trouble with the Magic, but Boston will not be easy to eliminate, as I originally believed when Powe & KG went down with injuries.

No comments: