Friday, February 26, 2010

Cheers and Jeers: Through the Looking Glass Edition


"I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see."

I wish I could explain the pull Olympic Hockey has on me. I'm not exactly Mr.Jingoism. I don't follow the NHL that closely. I don't even like the cold. However I love Team USA Hockey. Today they play the hated Finnish Somethings (does Finland have a Mascot?) So at 3 I shall be donning my red, white, and blue and calling for the death of a tiny Scandinavian country for no apparent reason.

"Twinkle, twinkle, little bat! How I wonder what you're at."
Yes Big Z is at the moment the hottest free agent in the NBA. Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, and the Cavs are all hot on him. Given the importance size plays in the playoffs teams will be offering multi-year contracts for a backup center. The Z storyline might be one of the more important questions of the next few weeks.


"We're all mad here."
Only a few weeks till the Madness. Purdue, a few days ago, seemed on the verge of clinching a #1 seed. Now their hopes for the season lay torn, much like Robbie Hummel's ACL. So might fill that spot? There are two at the moment. Duke and K-State. Duke has the RPI numbers but K-State has more wins against quality tournament teams. I imagine if Duke wins the ACC, they'll get that spot. Booo.

"Sentence first -- verdict afterwords."
The IOC is non too plussed at the Canadian women celebrating this gold medal with Molson on ice. Who doesn't like a good cigar and Molson beer? Yes off with their heads for celebrating in the tiniest bit!

"I don't believe there's an atom of meaning in it."
There's not but down the rabbit hole I'm willing to go

3 comments:

MJ said...

1) I detest the NHL and don't find hockey in general to be very interesting but I'm definitely happy when USA Hockey does well. It's one of the few sports Americans don't have the right to expect dominance in so it's always sweeter when the US can be a spoiler/Cinderella.

2) I hope Z doesn't sign a multi-year deal. It would make no sense for an expiring contract to suddenly turn into a multi-year obligation of burden just for the final 30 or so games of the season. NBA rules need to change such that any player who is bought out can only be re-signed to a pro-rated one year contract until the free agency period begins again in July. Why should Z have leverage over teams in February when everyone else has to wait until July? That's retarded.

3) If Duke gets a #1 seed at least we can take solace in the fact that they'll be bounced by the Sweet Sixteen, if not sooner. Just like the Florida Gators football team, Duke plays patsies at home late in the season. I thought Coach K had integrity but clearly he's as craven and pathetic as Urban Meyer.

Hitman said...

Thanks for showing us Alice's wonderland.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

1) i haven't watched NHL since 2004... and I too love olypmic hockey!
2) I agree w/ MJ... I didn't even realize you could offer multi-year contracts to bought-out players during the season until today... eesh. Z... come back! You built this team, you've got to finish what you started!