Monday, May 28, 2007

The Mysteries of the NBA Playoffs

I went to watch Game 3 of the Eastern Conference Finals at a friends place. Since it’s already the conference finals, there were a lot of questions asked by people who watch the NBA regularly, and those who do not. I tried my best to answer each of the questions but I never realized how mysterious the NBA had gotten…

Mystery #1) What is that piece of hair growing on the back of Gooden’s head?
See the picture. No one knows what this patch of hair is, or what to call it. This has been a running question all season. Last week, during round 2, one of my friends called it a “Neckstache.” I’m sticking with that explanation. I swear that about 5 months ago, Gooden’s on-air explanation of it was that: “I started growing hair there and someone told me to shave it. And you know what? Right then I decided – I’m not going to shave it, I’m going to keep it all season!” I can’t even imagine how weird it would be if I tried walking into work with a “Neckstache.”



Mystery #2) Who in the world would name their son “Sasha”???

Actually, “Sasha Pavlovic” on the Cavs has a real name of: “Aleksandar Pavlovic.” http://www.nba.com/playerfile/aleksandar_pavlovic/index.html So, the real question is why Aleksandar let’s everyone call him by a girl’s name. Maybe he’s desperate for acceptance?

Mystery #3) Why does the WNBA keep adopting slogans that are actually very lame?

I have absolutely no idea. All I know, is that this year’s WBA slogan, “Have You Seen Her?,” just puts the MC Hammer song in my head everytime I see the slogan. I just hope that MC Hammer is getting some money out of this. I then got curious, and I checked out wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WNBA , and found that it started with “We Got Next,” which then became “We Got Game.” The “We Got Next” slogan always made me laugh – but to follow it up with “We Got Game”??? Are they saying they used to not have skills? The NHL should try this strategy - "NHL 2008 - Now, with 2% more scoring!" I think the “We Got Game” slogan is a little desperate. The “Have You Seen Her” slogan certainly speaks more to the populace, because indeed, most people have not seen the WNBA even though women’s basketball may have “good fundamentals”, as said on Futurama.

No comments: