Thursday, April 16, 2009

Madden Retiring

Breaking news across the wire today is that John Madden is retiring. I'm not entirely sure when Madden became more of an icon rather than a simple sportscaster. It might have been his football game or his shift into MNF or even the parodies. However for me its hard to imagine pro football without Madden. Growing up Madden and Summerall were THE announcing crew. They were paired together for 22 years - which means theres a good reason I first think of Summerall and Madden when I think announcing teams. Later still if Madden was calling a game you knew it was big. Overshadowed from his broadcasting days is how good of a coach Madden was. He never had a losing season and has the highest winning percentage of any coach in NFL history. Not too shabby. Anyway I doubt things will ever be the same without Madden....

No comments: