Thursday, April 02, 2009

Final 4 of Normalcy

What a relief it is to have two 1-seeds, a 2-seed, and a 3-seed in the Final 4. I was getting really nervous about having all four #1s make it two years in a row. I'm not a fan of all four #1s making it, as seen by last year's column. While that does theoretically pit the best teams against each other, there's something inherently more exciting for me about have a couple of party-crashers to go up against the known and predictable quantities.

On to the Final 4. I really liked this story on SI, which has a picture of a team of 7-year old basketball players - including UNC's Ty Lawson, 'Nova's Dante Cunningham, and CSU's Cedric Jackson!

I always like to think about look back to see which Final 4 teams have faced each other...
UNC-Michigan State - UNC beat Michigan State by 35 back in December... but Michigan State did not have big man Goran Suton in that game, so it may not have been indicative of anything.

UConn-'Nova - The two Big East teams only played each other once this season... but that was back when UConn had Dyson. Of course, I used that logic to predict that UConn would lose early in the tournament and that was a complete waste.

As for the actual matchups this weekend, I'm guessing the masses will be rooting for and predicting a UConn-UNC championship game. This is the Madness though, so nothing really surprises me in the Final 4 anymore...

No comments: