Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Dwight Howard: Idiot

God, you have no idea how much I can’t stand bullshit like this. Look, I understand that players have to say what we (the adoring public) want to hear. I understand that athletes’ contract negotiations play out in public and that there’s a public relations strategy that goes along with that. But after 30+ years of free agency we’re all at the point where we’re smart enough to know better and we’re experienced enough to be able to cut through the bullshit. We don’t need to be spoken to like we’re idiotic children.

Dwight Howard will not make any decisions about his future based on what Orland Magic fans want. He won’t decide to stay or go based on any “love” he feels in “the community.” He will base his decision on the financial parameters of the contract he is offered and that’s that. That’s true of every athlete, incidentally.

I’m not one that begrudges an athlete his financial reward. Hell, I’m not even the type that gets offended if an athlete transparently makes a money grab. It’s a business and these guys have every right to earn a living. I know I’d go after every dollar I could get so I don’t have a problem with them doing the same thing.

Be honest, Dwight. Tell the people that you want to stay in Orlando as long as the franchise shows you the appropriate level of commitment.

Incidentally, why is Howard even talking about the future when he has three years left on his current contract without the benefit of an opt-out clause? If saying “it’s not about the money” is your PR strategy, why would you be talking about your impending free agency this far in advance? You only talk about money and contracts this far in advance if you want more money. The people of Orlando weren’t thinking about Howard’s free agency at all…until this very moment. That’s as bad a PR strategy as I’ve ever seen.

No comments: