Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Week 1 - A New Year, A New Format

For those dedicated readers of the blog, you probably are aware that during the NFL season, I supply picks for all of the games, with some amount of analysis/humor/obnoxious comments. Things have gotten a bit stale for me, so to freshen things up, I'm going to experiment with some different styles... and avoiding speaking about a lot of games where I have nothing to contribute.

So, with that in mind, let's jump right in!

Manwich Matchup of the Week
Titans @ Steelers- I guess this is the best game on tap this week. Though honestly, I still don't believe in the Titans. I didn't believe in 2007, 2008, and I don't believe in them this year either. My reason this year: the loss of Haynesworth and the fact that I don't see how Kerry Collins can have another great season. Of course, they still have a solid running game and defense, but I really think last season was their "perfect" season - a 13-3 season w/ a playoff loss.
Pick: Steelers

Upset of the Week
San Fran @ Arizona- Let's not forget that the Cardinals have the Super Bowl loser curse and Larry Fitzgerald on the cover of Madden. I also really like the 49ers and the insane intensity of coach Mike Singletary. I'm expecting big things, especially from QB Shaun Hill who finished last season 5-2 with losses to only Dallas and a narrow loss to Miami.
Pick: 49ers

Opening Round Playoff Game #1
Denver @ Cincy- Yes, the pressure starts early this season. I really don't see the loser of this game being able to recover. I also have no idea who will win, but Mr. McFlurry (i.e. Josh McDaniels) really rubs me the wrong way. He's going to be an ineffective Belichick disciple.
Pick: Cincy

Fantasy Football Games of Interest
Dallas @ Tampa- This game is very interesting because no one knows how many carries Cowboys RB Felix Jones is going to get, and no one has any clue if Tampa is serious about running three RBs - where they rotate every two series. Seriously, that's what the coach claims he's going to do. So good luck to the Derrick Ward, Cadillac Williams, and Earnest Graham owners.
Pick: Dallas

Chicago @ Green Bay- This game is very interesting mainly because we'll see if the Bears are actually going to utilize Jay Cutler... or if they are running some kind of ball control offense. I hope they let Cutler air it out. We can also see in this game if Cutler actually targets his former college teammate, Earl Bennett.
Pick: Green Bay

Game Where 90% of America Should Root for the Same Team
Minnesota @ Cleveland- Everyone should root for the Browns, if only to root against Brett Favre. I'm thinking of making a billboard like the Ghostbusters except w/ Favre's face on it.
Pick: Minnesota

Other Games
Miami @ Atl -
Pick: Atl

Jacksonville @ Indy-
Pick: Indy

Detroit @ New Orleans-
Pick: New Orleans

Philly @ CAR-
Pick: Philly

KC @ Baltimore-
Pick: Baltimore

Jets @ Texans-
Pick: Texans

Washington @ Giants-
Pick: Giants

St. Louis @ Seattle-
Pick: Seattle

Buffalo @ New England-
Pick: New England

San Diego @ Raiders-
Pick: San Diego

Past Years - I'm good in the odd years, just like the San Antonio Spurs
2004 – 150-106
Manwich Matchup: 7-11
Upset Special: 7-9

2005 – 160-96
Manwich Matchup: 10-7
Upset Special: 3-14 (That’s not a misprint)

2006: 148-108
Manwich Matchup: 12-7
Upset Special: 5-12

2007 - 166-90
Manwich Matchup: 13-4
Upset Special: 8-9

2008 - 149-106-1
Manwich Matchup: 11-8
Upset Special: 1-16

No comments: