Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Week 5 - Appealing, Delaying, & Repealing Appeals

Can anyone explain to me how Onterrio Smith wanted to "appeal" his drug suspension, then somehow "delayed" his appeal for over a month? But then he repealed his appeal and just accepted the punishment?!? It's all very convenient, as now Michael Bennett is ready to return, but then he injures his knee during practice. I didn't even think you could appeal a drug suspension in the NFL. This is the league that has had a "fashion police" to make sure that everyone's socks are right and that everyone's shirts are tucked in. Yet suddenly, Onterrio is the first one to just say "Hey, my team has a lot of injuries, so I'm just going to play for a few weeks first." I just have this image of Onterrio paying the "Piss Man" from ESPN's "Playmakers" to delay in reporting the results.

I'm glad that's off my chest. Here are the games-

Manwich-Sized Matchup
Tennessee @ Green Bay-
This is a strange game between 2 desperate teams. I'm looking at (2) 1-3 teams that have just been terrible. The Titans got edged out by the Jaguars and then got smacked around by the Chargers. Yes, the Chargers. The Packers started with a bang by beating Carolina, then proceeded to lose every game since showing that they are incapable of playing any run defense. The Titans can run the ball well, and I'm expecting Ahman Green to fumble a couple of more times, so I'm going with the Titans.
Pick: Tennessee

Upset of the Week
Arizona @ San Fran-
It still says that San Fran is a one-point favorite, so I'm going to cash in on the Cardinals for one more week while I still can.
Pick: Arizona

Detroit @ Atlanta-
This could actually be a good game. You gotta believe in Coach Mariucci... to keep it close. I can't even imagine how good the Falcons would be if they used WR Michael Jenkins. If anyone has ESPN football- The Videogame, you know that Jenkins is incredible.
Pick: Atlanta

NY Giants @ Dallas-
OK, Kurt Warner. You showed me that there was no Krypton in Green Bay. I still don't believe it though. The Packers defensive players, that Warner beat last week, wouldn't even compete w/ Dallas's local pee-wee defensive team.
Pick: Dallas

Minnesota @ Houston-
Houston has climbed back to 2-2. But stopping Minnesota is difficult, no matter whether Onterrio Smith, Moe Williams, or Marty McFly is in at running back.
Pick: Minnesota

Oakland @ Indy-
I wonder if Jerry Rice has any kids, because then we could have our first father-son combo on the field at the same time.
Pick: Indy

Miami @ New England-
The best news the Dolphins got this week is that Ricky Williams wants to play again, meaning they might be able to trade Ricky's rights for something. Too bad that doesn't help the Dolphins on the field, as they are already on a 4th string RB.
Pick: New England

Tampa Bay @ New Orleans-
Chris Simms is starting his first game. Phil Simms could broadcast this game. Father-son broadcast-player relationships don't work well. Just look at Bill Walton calling some Arizona basketall games w/ Luke Walton. Oh wait, that's just because Bill Walton is a poor broadcaster in general.
Top Bill Walton quote: "The team that can score the most points will win."
Pick: New Orleans

Cleveland @ Pittsburgh-
What were the odds that the Browns could get into 1st place by winning this game? This pains me to say it, it pains me to predict it, but I don't think the Browns have the Steelers playbook (unlike last week against Washington).
Pick: Pittsburgh

Buffalo @ NY Jets-
J-E-T-S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
Pick: NY Jets

Jacksonville @ San Diego-
I am refusing to believe in these Chargers. The Jag defense will put the clamps down.
Pick: Jacksonville

Carolina @ Denver-
I have no idea which Carolina team will show up. I don't think I've picked any of their games right so far.
Pick: Denver

St. Louis @ Seattle-
The only way this division gets interesting is if Coach Martz finds a way to win. Martz is just too illogical and crazy at this point to get it done.
Pick: Seattle

Baltimore @ Washington-
So, the Ravens had to lose a game w/o Deion. Had to give him some value. Meanwhile, Portis and the Redskins were complaining that the Browns "knew all the plays" last week. Doesn't that just mean they need to expand the playbook beyond on the 8 plays available in the 1991 version of Tecmo Bowl?
Pick: Baltimore

Last Week: 9-5
Season: 39-21
Manwich Matchup: 1-3 (damn the unpredictable Panthers)
Upset Special: 3-1 (thank you Cardinals)

No comments: