Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Week 14 - Playoffs? I don't know the meaning!

Playoff Update: In my beloved Creampuff league, I needed a win and a number of losses to take place. I didn’t bother checking my team on Sunday morning though, Steve McNair didn’t play at all, and that pretty much sealed the deal for me. In the end, it didn’t matter, as one of the teams above me did win, officially eliminating me from consolation playoffs.

In the Ford league, I had a very tough decision – Steven Jackson against the 49ers or Julius Jones against the Seahawks. I went the safe route and went w/ Jackson. Got me 130 yards. Jones came out Monday night, inspired by my snub, got 198 yards and 3 touchdowns. It didn’t matter though – I still would have lost by 2 points. Why? Because I didn’t succeed in getting any QB points in this league either! Marc Bulger got injured on the first series on Sunday, and that sealed my fate.

The moral of the story in both leagues is that no matter what I would have done, nothing would have changed. Even w/ a time machine to go back to last Saturday, I couldn’t have fixed the problem unless someone would have told me to start an ice-cold Hasselbeck over Bulger.

Alas, on to the games.

Manwich Matchup of the Week-
Seattle @ Minnesota-
2 fading teams, trying everything they can to take themselves out of the playoff race. Someone has to win. Unless they tie. As always this season, I’m going with the Vikings. They are more capable. I hope.
Pick: Minnesota

Upset of the Week-
NY Jets @ Pittsburgh-
Well, the Jags couldn’t do it, maybe the Jets can? Pennington’s healthy now. There’s a chance.
Pick: Jets

Oakland @ Atl-
Last time the Falcons got spanked, they turned around and killed the Broncos. Substitute Bronco for Raider, same result.
Pick: Atlanta

NY Giants @ Baltimore-
You see, Eli really should have gotten that first win last week. Now, the losses are just going to keep piling up. I don’t think Baltimore’s going to be too happy about what happened last week.
Pick: Baltimore

Cleveland @ Buffalo-
Strange stat of the week- Look at Jeff Sagarin’s ratings on http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nfl04.htm The Browns are the 14th best team in the NFL. Better than the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina, Tampa Bay, or the NFC West. Seriously.
Pick: Buffalo

New Orleans @ Dallas-
I love how 3 weeks ago, they were saying how Parcells should just retire, and now they are praising him for taking a team that almost gave up hope and winning a bunch of games.
Pick: Dallas

Detroit @ Green Bay-
I really wish the Lions had something left, so that my Vikings could have an even easier time winning a playoff spot. And in the NFC, winning a playoff spot really doesn’t say much.
Pick: Green Bay

Indy @ Houston-
Peyton Manning is on a whole nother level. He probably is an expert at Madden AND ESPN Football.
Pick: Indy

Chicago @ Jac-
Don’t hang your heads Jags. There’s still a chance. You jus have to win out.
Pick: Jacksonville

Cinci @ New England-
It’s tempting to pick Cincy again. Mainly because such a dramatic victory would probably raise the Browns rank into the top 10 according to Jeff Sagarin.
Pick: New England

Miami @ Denver-
I think there really has to be an “Inconsistency Award” given to Jake Plummer this year. I think he’s had 3 games with 4 TDs, 0 INTs, and 3 games with 0 TDs, 4 INTs. Unreal.
Pick: Denver

San Fran @ Arizona-
Classic revenge game. Go Cards!
Pick: Arizona

St. Louis @ Carolina-
The Carolina Panthers are serious about making the playoffs. I’m also cheering for the first-ever 7-9 division champion.
Pick: Carolina

Tampa Bay @ San Diego-
This has serious playoff implications. Tampa Bay is still hanging around at 5-7. San Diego needs to put the finishing touches on a dream season.
Pick: San Diego

Philly @ Washington-
Congrats to the Redskins! After 13 weeks, they cracked the 20-point barrier! Fans were giving high-fives everywhere.
Pick: Philly

KC @ Tennessee-
Priest Holmes where are you? Has there ever been a more dominant RB that everyone just forgets about? I have this feeling that no one will even remember him 10 years from now.
Pick: KC

Last Week: 9-7
Season: 109-85
Manwich Matchup: 6-7 (Thank you Chargers.)
Upset Special: 6-7 (The Jags came so close to that 60-yard FG. So close!)

No comments: