Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Week 13 - Playoff Push

It's time for the Playoff Push in the NFL, and especially in fantasy football, w/ just 2 weeks left until the playoffs. Now, in my Creampuff League, I stink, I would need a miracle, as I sit at 4-8, 1 game back of the consolation playoffs. In my Ford League though, I'm up 1 game, but I don't hold the tiebreaker. It's way too complicated though to reconcile the people I'm rooting for & against. Though I did hear my fantasy matchup against the 2nd-place team has been pushed to the feature game on Fox.

Well, I ended my sub-500 streak at 3. A return to normalness. For once. Ok, let’s do this quick.

Manwich Matchup of the Week-
Denver @ San Diego-
This is probably the most important game on the whole slate. If San Diego wins, they’ll have a commanding 2-game lead. If Denver wins, they’ll be tied w/ San Diego, but by virtue of a sweep, will hold the tiebreaker. I’m going revenge factor here. Also, Coach Schottenheimer told me this team is different than the one that collapsed after 8-4 2 years ago. By me, I mean ESPN.
Pick: San Diego

Upset of the Week-
Pittsburgh @ Jacksonville-
Yes. At some point, Pittsburgh has to lose before the playoffs. I just see them losing some freak game on the road, to a desperate team. Granted, the Steelers still have road games against the Bills & the Giants, but I’m guessing both of those teams will be eliminated from playoff competition by then. Anyways, the season will end, Jacksonville probably won’t make the playoffs (though they could win the NFC), and yet they will have beaten Pittsburgh & Jacksonville. Bittersweet irony.
Pick: Jacksonville

Green Bay @ Philly-
Favre vs. McNabb. Ultimately though, the AFC is far superior, and I don’t think that any of the NFC teams are going to give Philly trouble… until the playoffs.
Pick: Philly

Cinci @ Baltimore-
I have this sneaking suspicion the Bengals are scoring less than 20 points this week.
Pick: Baltimore

Minnesota @ Chicago-
The Bears are starting Chad Hutchinson, a 3rd string QB from the Cowboys who couldn’t make the team. But don’t worry, if things don’t go well, they have Jeff George to back him up. The question is: which Jeff George? Personally, I like the Minnesota Viking Jeff George personally. I also like the Raider-Jeff George. Not a big fan of the Redskin-Jeff George.
Pick: Minnesota

New England @ Cleveland-
Alas, Butch is finally gone. I’m seriously excited to have a GM and a scouting department as opposed to just relying on Butch’s sole, subjective opinion which was based on his recruiting trips from 4 years ago.
Pick: New England

Arizona @ Detroit-
Arizona is starting John Navarre. Ouch. I mean, he wasn’t even that good on Michigan.
Pick: Detroit
Tennessee @ Indy-
Indy’s had 10 days off for Peyton to study every nuance of their defense.
Pick: Indy

Buffalo @ Miami-
Buffalo suddenly has approached 500. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are missing the moustache. Where are you Mr. Moustache, on a beach, eating ice cream, getting your moustache dirty?
Pick: Buffalo

Carolina @ New Orleans-
Just when you think the Panthers are dead, they use all their backups and the Jedi Powers of Julius Peppers (JP^2) to win 3 straight games. But you know what, I’ll go w/ the Saints, the most unpredictable team in the NFL.
Pick: New Orleans

Houston @ NY Jets-
Ok, backup QB. The Texans are desperate for a win. I don’t care if I pick too many upsets.
Pick: Houston

San Fran @ St. Louis-
Bulger threw for 450 yards yet still lost. I can’t even imagine what crazy adjustments Martz will have this week.
Pick: St. Louis

Atlanta @ Tampa-
Ode to the Gramatica Brothers. On the verge of greatness, 2 kickers in their primes. Bill’s career went down the crapper when he tore an ACL while celebrating. Marteeen’s career went down the crapper when he simply started making less than half. I think Shaq’s free throw percentage is higher. That’s not good.
Pick: Atlanta

KC @ Oakland-
Wow, the Chiefs have fallen. I think Oakland will be content enough w/ just one victory last weekend. Now it’s the Chiefs turn for a meaningless victory.
Pick: KC

NY Giants @ Washington-
Eli, I’m throwin you a bone here. Win your 1st game now, or those New York fans will hate you.
Pick: Giants

Dallas @ Seattle-
This is intriguing. Not sure what to expect. Seattle is playing like crap, seems destined to win their division at 8-8, even w/ getting swept by the Rams, who seem destined for 7-9. Let’s see if we can make it happen!
Pick: Dallas

Last Week: 11-5
Season: 100-76
Manwich Matchup: 5-7 (Thank you Vikings.)
Upset Special: 6-6 (The Cards came close against the Jets. It was 3-3 for a little while)

1 comment:

Mighty Mike said...

What's up with you and Wannsted's mustache?

Kudos on a real scouting department/GM. Phase 1: fire Butch. Phase 3: Win superbowl. Browns just need to figure out phase 2 (and its not having Laz eat more wings)