Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Week 16- Mini-Playoff Preview

Just to get it down on paper, I'm going to give a quick Mini-Playoff Preview. Logically speaking, it should be Steelers over the Eagles. But we all know that will never actually happen. Roethlisberger would have to defy all the odds to be a winning rookie QB. And the Eagles probably won't even get there without TO! Emotionally speaking, I'm going Colts over Falcons. Both teams are flawed, but if the Colts score often enough, they can beat anyone. The Falcons need only get to the NFC Championship, then take down an Eagles team that is weak against the run and has no TO to rely on. The most interesting race will be to see who will get the wild card(s) in the AFC. Assuming the Jets make it, I'm pulling for Jacksonville right now, though nothing would suprise me. I'm also hoping for Carolina to make the NFC Playoffs, so we can see stories about an 8-8 team making the Super Bowl. OK, we'll see how this all looks in a few weeks. On to the games.

Manwich Matchup of the Week-
Green Bay @ Minnesota- Christmas Eve. The only game on. Winner gets a division title and a crucial home game. Assuming the loser can still make the playoffs (Green Bay already clinched, Minnesota would need to win the last week) they would get a road game at the weak Seattle/St. Louis winner. Not too bad. All year long, I’ve stuck by the Vikings through thick and thin. In a strange kind of way, it’s almost better to be on the road for that first game then to possibly have to face the Carolina Panthers.
Pick: Minnesota

Upset of the Week-
Baltimore @ Pittsburgh- I’m thinking the Steelers are just not good enough to finish 15-1. In addition, I think the Steelers could be like ’99 Jags, go 14-2 with both losses to the same team (the Jags ended up losing a 3rd time to the Titans in the playoffs).
Pick: Baltimore

Oakland @ KC-
It’s kind of sad, but KC really has been in every game this season, they only needed some semblance of a defense, imagine that.
Pick: KC

Denver @ Tennessee-
Denver has been consistently screwing up, yet they still are in the thick of the playoff race. This might be one of Plummer’s 4TD- 0 INT weeks.
Pick: Denver

NY Giants @ Cinci-
I think I’m just going to keep picking against Eli every week.
Pick: Giants

Chicago @ Detroit-
After the Lions failed to get the extra point, I’ve never seen a more shocked look than Coach Mariucci. The amazing thing is, had they won the game, they’d also be in the playoff hunt at 6-8!
Pick: Detroit

San Diego @ Indy-
What a game. I could have picked this as the Manwich Matchup, but I just don’t think the battle for 3 vs. 4 seed is as crucial. What is the difference between playing the Jets, Jags/Ravens/Bills/Broncos? I’d be scared any which way!
Pick: Indy

Houston @ Jacksonville-
Yes, my surprise playoff pick for 2004 (Houston) just didn’t have the defense, or the offense, to make it through. They did beat the Jags first time around, and I think revenge will play a huge role this time around.
Pick: Jacksonville

Atlanta @ New Orleans-
The Falcons are resting everyone, they have the 2-seed locked up, so there’s no reason not to, which only puts the Saints one step closer to an improbable playoff berth.
Pick: New Orleans

Carolina @ Tampa Bay-
That really hurt with Carolina last week. I had them winning, and it just hurt. This team started out at 1-7, and if they could make the playoffs, it would be amazing! I’m still on the bandwagon. How come they lose 15 guys, and they get motivated to win every game, and the Browns just concede? The answer: Unlike the Browns, their backups have talent.
Pick: Carolina

New England @ NY Jets-
This game could go either way. I still can’t believe the Pats lost to the Dolphins. I still think a loss like that is healthy at this point, assuming the team still gets their 1st-round bye.
Pick: New England

Buffalo @ San Fran-
I know McGahee won’t be there, but I have to have some faith that the Bills can beat the 49ers in Chris Berman’s dream Super Bowl.
Pick: Buffalo

Washington @ Dallas-
I don’t know what to think about this. It’s a rivalry game, but I gotta go with Julius Jones.
Pick: Dallas

Arizona @ Seattle-
Seattle better get their shit together, win the last 2 games, or else everyone will be fired.
Pick: Seattle

Cleveland @ Miami-
Welcome to the 2004 Battle of the Interim Coaches! LIVE on Sunday night, for a national audience! I’m sure the ESPN execs were hoping for this when the season began.
Pick: Miami

Philly @ St. Louis-
I still think Philly can win w/o TO, this week at least. I still can’t believe how Roy Williams got TO from behind and brought him down like that, and it just destroyed his whole leg. The Rams are just pathetic also, evevn though I know Bulger is coming back. Luckily for the Rams, the Eagles have locked up homefield, and I don't see them risking any more injuries.
Pick: St. Louis

Last Week: 11-5
Season: 132-94
Manwich Matchup: 7-8 (Thanks Jags for squeaking it out against Green Bay)
Upset Special: 7-8 (Arizona over the Rams was just too easy!)

No comments: