Thursday, February 10, 2005

Super Bowl Disappointment

5 thoughts on the Super Bowl

1. Worst Coin Toss Ever – The NFL had this brilliant idea, why not have a 10-year old from a youth football team actually do the coin toss? Here’s what happened:
Ref: “Now, Jimmy, make sure you throw the coin real high.”
Jimmy: Puts the coin in his open hand, throws the coin up, and the coin does not even rotate. McNabb then started yelling that the coin didn’t even rotate!
Well, I can bet the NFL will never allow a child to ever do the coin toss again. Can you imagine if Ray Lewis was playing and got screwed over by some kid’s coin toss?

2. TO deserves somme serious props – I can’t believe how well TO played. Talk about an amazing rehabilitation! If you would have told me that TO would have 9 catches for 122 yards on a gimpy ankle, I would have thought that the Eagles would have won.

3. Best commercial(s) – The triumphant return of MC Hammer! Now, he makes fun of himself for money!

4. 2nd best commercial – FedEx- detailing the 10 elements needed for a good Super Bowl commercial and then including all of them in their commercial (Burt Reynolds & a talking, dancing grizzly bear)

5. I’ve lost some respect for Andy Reid – I’m not an NFL coach, but from watching the Colts-Patriots game, I would have recognized that the no-huddle that the Colts used at the end of the half led to their only score. So, with 2 weeks to prepare for the Super Bowl, you’d think that at some point, Coach Reid would have prepared some kind of no-huddle system. What were the chances that you may need to save some time?
Well, we all know what happened, the Eagles got the ball w/ 6 minutes left, down 10 points, and they took their good old time moving the ball for about 4 minutes until hitting a 30-yard touchdown. Any kind of responsible clock-management could have actually left the Eagles with enough time at the end of the game. In addition, I don’t believe any of these shenanigans about McNabb too sick to be able to run the no-huddle. If he was too sick, he wouldn’t have thrown for 357 yards!

But the 2 biggest disappointments of all deserve their own paragraphs:

Disappointment #1:
Where’s the flea-flicker?
For the love of football, if there’s anything I’ve noticed, it’s that the flea-flicker works almost every time. If anything it keeps the other safeties honest in sticking with their receivers for as long as possible. I don’t know why we couldn’t see some trick plays, flea-flicker or not, in the Super Bowl.

Diasspointment #2:
Where’s the TO Super Bowl touchdown dance? I really could care less about either team, and all I wanted to see was the touchdown dance that TO had prepared. Now, we’ll never know. I would have paid to see it. Honestly.

Final Thoughts:
I definitely feel a resurgence of “2 Legit 2 Quit” at sporting events in the year 2005. In addition, be prepared for more columns this year from yours truly. NCAA Basketball and NBA will dominate the discussions, that’s for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, two MC Hammer (or is it just "Hammer" now?) references in one article. I'm glad that, after years of searching, I've finally been able to find a blog solely dedicated towards Hammer. But maybe next week you can write about sports, too?

Mighty Mike said...

I agree with "anonymous" . We want more Hammer or Krusty the Clown. Either one works