Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sports Psychology

I always find it interesting when I come across athletes that have a distorted sense of their own abilities. Obviously even the “worst” professional athletes still have to believe in themselves and their competitive abilities in order to survive in the cutthroat world of pro sports. But beyond the most basic elements of self-motivation, a little reality and self-awareness at one’s own limitations isn’t a bad thing.

I bring this up because I just read a story about Tony Womack where he bashes the Yankees for how his one-year stint in New York turned out:

Tony Womack was supposed to be the Yankees’ second baseman last season but he ended up spending more time on the bench than anywhere else. Not surprisingly, that didn’t sit too well with Womack, who was replaced by Robinson Cano and traded to Cincinnati for two minor leaguers in December.

“I went through it because they put me through it,” he told MLB.com at Reds training camp in Sarasota, Fla. “It wasn’t like I did it to myself. I still like to play. It’s no fun knowing that you can still play and contribute to somebody when this team is holding you back. The Yankees held me back.”

When the Yanks struggled last season, GM Brian Cashman and Joe Torre tried to shake things up by moving Womack from second base to the outfield and calling up Cano; Womack didn’t last long as an everyday outfielder and ended up as a pinch-runner. He hit .249 while appearing in 108 games.

“The only thing that makes me mad is it messes up my baseball card,” Womack said. “I was consistent for a long time and then that comes up. It was a learning experience for me. I’m a stronger person. I had to be. I had to bite my tongue a lot. I had to keep myself going and make sure I got my work in.”

Womack is competing with Rich Aurilia and Ryan Freel for the Reds’ second base job.


Has Womack actually seen the back of his baseball card? Is he aware that he’s a career .273 hitter? Did his .249 average in 2005 really do THAT much damage to his baseball card* or has he already forgotten about the 2003 season, when he hit a combined .226 for three different teams (including an abysmal .190 in 21 games for the Colorado Rockies)?

I don’t know what is worse here. Is it that Womack is too concerned with his own stats to recognize that his replacement in New York, Robinson Cano, was a big reason for the Yanks’ turnaround last year? Or is it the fact that despite his 2004 season in St. Louis (fluke), Womack still has none of the perspective required to lead a normal, happy life. I mean, if he truly believes that the Yankees held him back, despite posting a .300 OBP as a regular starter in April and May, well…it’s going to be a long life for a guy that has no idea who he is.

Then again, competing with Rich Aurilia and Ryan Freel for a job should tell him all he needs to know. Joe Morgan he ain’t.

*Womack’s .249 average in 2005 lowered his career batting average by exactly one one-thousandth of a point, from .274 to .273.

No comments: