Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bizzaro Manning

Last week was a wild one! Even w/o MJ constantly pointing out the deficiencies of the Giants, I still wouldn’t have had the guts to pick the Giants or Bizzaro Manning when the Giants got sliced and diced in both of their previous meetings against the Cowboys. As for one thing that never gets Bizzaro, it’s Dennis Northcutt. Northcutt, while always fast, has a knack for dropping balls. He dropped a big one in the Browns loss to the playoffs to the Steelers in 2002, and he didn’t disappoint by dropping another big one against the Patriots when the Jaguars were only down 21-14 (they settled for a field goal). At least we can still count on Northcutt for predictability.

Turning to this week’s games, interestingly, both of these games this weekend are rematches from earlier in the season. In both situations, the hosts (New England, Green Bay) won earlier meetings against the other team…

San Diego @ New England- I think this game is really interesting, because everyone involved hates each other from last year’s game. LT got angry after the game as the Patriots were dancing on the Chargers’ logo and even mocked the Shawn Merriman dance. LT said the Patriots “showed no class… and maybe that comes from the coach!” The Chargers lost a real wild game last year (a combined 7 turnovers between both teams) and it was at home and it led to the firing of Coach Marty Schottenheimer. If the Chargers do anything this weekend, it should be devoting the game to the firing of their coach, Marty Schottenheimer! Seriously though, I think the Colts matched up better with the Patriots than the Chargers. Now, it’s not even a question as to who matches up better with a gimpy Rivers and a banged-up Tomlinson and it’s anyone’s guess as to how effective they’ll be on Sunday. I realize this column has never been about personal feelings, but today, I’m going to express myself and say what’s been on my mind: “I hate the Patriots!” Moreover, there’s one quote that keeps seeping into my head, especially now that the Chargers are injured… I can’t get out of my head the image of Bill Belichick calling up former Dolphins Coach Don Shula each week and just saying one thing:
Agent Smith/Belichick: You hear that Mr. Shula?... That is the sound of inevitability... It is the sound of the death of your undefeated record... Goodbye, Mr. Shula.
Pick: Patriots

NY Giants @ Green Bay – Early forecast is bitter cold. I’m sure it will snow as well. But really, that almost might HELP the giants! Then they wouldn’t have to use their Bizzaro Manning as often. The other reason that “bad” weather may help is that the Giants are supposedly missing their top 3 cornerbacks. The odds are really against Bizzaro Manning getting to the Big Show. I’ve been really racking my brain and scouring the internet in my best efforts to come up with an angle that can provide Bizzaro Manning with hope. Finally, I found the motivational piece that Bizzaro Maning needs:
If the kids in this commercial (including the little brother from “Just one of the guys”) can figure out how to succeed in their 1980s high school AND eat McDonald’s…
well, then there’s hope for Bizzaro Manning and the Giants still!

Pick: Green Bay

Last week: 2-2 (I didn’t count on Eli OR Billy Volek saving the day!)

No comments: