Friday, January 18, 2008

Should've Seen That Coming


No, that's not a photoshop, the Legally brain dead misunderstood Stephen A. Smith is trying his hand at political punditry. At first my thought was why? Stephen is a walking, skulking, lamprey on talent. His ghostly apparition frightens interns and cameramen in Bristol. His every movement centers on trying to suck on any camera he can find since he's a failure at his own show, newspaper, wooing Bob Ryan, etc. Accuracy in the world of Steven A. is a function of how much stress each syllable receives and the volume of one's voice.

Why oh Why was he on Hardball? His deep insight about the Democratic debate was
I was totally bored, Chris, I was totally bored and I was disgusted.
He's right dammit, the candidates didn't do anything spectacular. Its why I'm voting for the David Copperfield - Pac-Man Jones ticket. Now they'd be entertaining. Sure they'd run the country into the ground and Pac-Man Jones would almost certainly be the second sitting Vice President to shoot someone in the face but they'd BE ENTERTAINING. And isn't that what I should base my vote on?

After the first wave of nausea had passed I realized that Steven A probably wasn't the first sign of Ragnarok, the end of world that every Norse worshiper like me is prepared for, but just a sign of the general political discourse. The number of times I can remember policy or policy implications of candidates being discussed in the news can be counted on one hand. To steal Jack Shafer's phrase, Steven's A. aggressive pursuit of the trite fits him in the normal media discourse. So why not include him on Tweety's Christ Matthews show. There's really very difference between the coverage of Presidential "horse race" and pick your sports "horse race" .

No comments: