Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cheers and Jeers: King of Denmark Edition


Ingredients
Lebron James is playing the best basketball of his career this month. Period. Yes he's had better games at various times but his current stretch is as good as he's ever had. In the month of January he's averaging 32 points, 7.7 rebounds, 8 assists all the while shooting 52% from the field. Let me repeat that...a small forward shooting 52% from the field. Add to that he's doing that almost entirely on the road. Add to that tremondous defensive plays from stealing Wade's pass to blocking Durant. Can we just give him the MVP award already?

And now for some much needed cheering and jeering....

Cheers: To Evan Turner. Somehow after breaking his back, Turner has almost immediately returned to form. What form is that? Glad you asked. Super awesome nearly triple double every night form Getting national hype as a Player of the Year candidate form. I believe Turner would be the first player to break his back and win Player of the Year in the same year.
Picture of Evan Turner fighting Venom

Cheers: To ESPN firing Paul Shirley. I'm all for free speech. Love it. But nobody has the right to be paid for peddling crap. That's the beauty of market. If someone wants to read said crap they'll do it in another forum and can pay for it there. If nobody cares about Shirley's ideas then he can die slowly of scurvy. Personally I'm more than happy pay for Shirley getting scurvy.

Cheers: To Kurt Warner's illustrious career. I'm so old I remember the super market bag boy stories about Kurt. Now a decade later Warner seems to have punched a ticket to The Hall of Fame. There's few QBs I have seen that read the field better than Kurt. (this all assumes he retires tomorrow)

Jeers: To Rasheed and Pierce. This picture confuses and angers me.

and our C&J Gal of the Week...American Olympic Hopeful Kristi Leskinen who does free style skiing. Not sure what that is but I'll watch it now.

4 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

1) Lebron has been absolutely amazing.
2) evan turner is amazing too- he came back faster than expected and is dominant yet again!
3) i can't believe what paul shirley wrote. shocked. he deserves to get fired.
4) is rasheed a prince and pierce is snow white????

Jeff Lazarus said...

No i think Rasheed and Pierce are dressed as characters from Andy Warhol's rendition of The Hobbit.

On a better note, Lebron is awesome. The last few games, he has been beyond amazing. I think he has showed dominance in all facets of the game, shooting, passing, defense, and most importantly leadership.
I do have to say that second quarter of the Cavs/Heat game was insane. With Lebron and Wade matching each other shot-for-shot, it was like watching Magic and Bird. And then, to shut Wade down in the second half, beautiful.

MJ said...

I also Cheer Lebron's awesome awesomeosity. I won't say it because I know Clevelanders will be crushed...but, man...I hope...

I also Cheer Paul Shirley's firing. To be honest, I never bothered reading his work so I had no idea he wrote that about Haiti. I liked the link which spelled out a nice point-by-point argument demonstrating why Shirley's a total douche, although I didn't care for the Christian stuff in the last paragraph. I was with him until right there. Religion offends me on a certain level and I wish he could've kept his out of it.

As someone that doesn't really care much for religion, I won't be cheering Kurt Warner too much. If he's retiring, that's fine, just don't change your mind like a certain other QB we know. As for his Hall of Fame chances...I think he'll probably make it, although it is fair to point out that the start and end of his career were good but the middle was HORRENDOUS. He's got to answer for that giant void in the middle years of his career.

No comment on Rasheed and PP's costumes as they borrowed them from me... :-)

Whatever freestyle skiing is, she can do it to me.

Hitman said...

I think maybe I'll watch the Olympics this year.