Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Welcome to the 2009 NFL Playoffs!

It's time for the NFL Playoffs, one of my favorite times of the year. Let's do it!

First off, I just wanted to expand on some of my playoff rules. Most importantly for this season - we need to look at what happens when you play the same team in back-to-back weeks. Interestingly, teams that are divisional foes that have already swept the other team (i.e. a situation like the Dallas Cowboys) are 3-0 since 1980. I didn't look earlier than 1980 by the way. This means: if you already swept your opponent, and you are lucky enough to play them in back-to-back weeks, then you are likely to win again.

So...
3-Dallas vs. 6-Philly -
Pick: Dallas

The other 7 times that we've had teams play each other in back-to-back weeks, the LOSER the first week... becomes the WINNER in the 2nd week!

So...
4-Cincy vs. 5-Jets -
Pick: Cincy

By the way, I didn't realize this until I saw it in another article, but the Jets were 7-7 after 15 weeks. They then somehow played the Colts (who rested everyone) and the Bengals (who rested everyone). Basically, the Jets got two free wins. So... Yes, the Bengals should send the Jets back to reality and intercept Mark Sanchez three times.


4-Arizona vs. 5-Green Bay - This is also a back-to-back rematch... HOWEVER, I'm going against my own rule for only one reason... I picked the Packers to lose in the Super Bowl before the season began and I want to pick the exact same game now!
Pick: Green Bay

3-New England vs. 6-Baltimore - This is a real crapshoot I think. The Ravens played a murderous schedule this year and tended to lose to all the good teams (New England, Cincy twice, Minnesota, Indy, Green Bay). I think this means that New England should beat the Ravens again though it should be close. For the record, teams that played each other once during the season have a 58.5% winning percentage when they play in the playoffs.

Now I’m going to pick the whole playoff tree, but I’ll be back each week to pick the matchups. So, it’s time to get to what I’m seeing in my crystal ball (which never actually happens)…

AFC
1-Colts vs. 4-Cincy - While the Bengals have had a great year, I don't see them stopping the Colts at all.
Pick: Colts

2-Chargers vs. 3- Pats - This should be a dandy. The Chargers lost to the Pats in the 2007 AFC Championship and lost to the Pats in the 2006 Divisional Playoffs. Third time should be the charm!
Pick: Chargers

1-Colts vs. 2-Chargers - As I picked in my season preview... I've got the Chargers marching on. It will definitely be the most anticipated game of the year for me if the Colts and Chargers link up in th e AFC Championship game!

NFC
1-Saints vs 5-Packers - The Saints have been playing like dog poo. Lately, teams that have limped into the playoffs tend to have short stays, and sadly for the Saints, this year may be no different.
Pick: Packers

2-Vikings vs. 3-Cowboys - Well... I'm not sure what would happen in this game. Are the Cowboys still cursed if they beat the Eagles in consecutive weeks? Will Tony Romo finally play well in December? I really don't know. I'm just going to pick the Vikings and not worry about it.
Pick: Vikings

2-Vikings vs 5-Packers - Wow. It won't get any better than this... so long as Favre throws 3 INTs to his old team and gets to watch them celebrate and go to the Super Bowl!
Pick: Packers

Super Bowl
Chargers vs Packers - 2 of the best young QBs going at it in a shootout should make for an exciting Super Bowl. In the end, Norv Turner gets the monkey off his back and will hoist the trophy!
Pick: Chargers

Last Week: 10-6
Season: 165-91
Manwich: 10-7 (cowboys beat the eagles)
Upset of the Week: 8-9 (The bengals didn't even show up against the jets. that was disappointing)

****
NBA
-Lesson learned this week from Gilbert Arenas -
Even if the government has finished interviewing you regarding your possible firearm violations, it's probably not a good idea to joke about the incident by forming guns w/ your hands and pointing them at people afterwards.

NBA games of the Week-
last week's "Games of the Week" - The Cavs took down the Hawks on back-to-back nights; The Suns beat a Celtics team badly (but w/o KG or Pierce); the Lakers obliterated Dallas by shooting 63%; Odom got 19 rebounds and outmuscled the Lakers over the Rockets.

This week...
Boston @ ATL - 1/8
Dallas @ Spurs - 1/8
Cleveland @ Denver - 1/8
ATL @ Orland - 1/9
ATL @ Boston - 1/11
Lakers @ Spurs - 1/12

7 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

I'm going with Dallas, Zona, Cinci, and New England. Hmm that's all of the favorites. Meh why not?

MJ said...

I'm going Green Bay, Baltimore, Jets and Cowbitches...

-I love the way the Packers are playing right now and I think Arizona used up all its genie wishes last year;

-Without Wes Welker, Tom Brady and the Patriots are just not the same team. The Ravens may not be a better team but the Pats just lost their best playmaker;

-Although one school of thought says that the Jets got gifts by the Colts and Bengals to make the playoffs, the other school of thought says that they physically dominated the Bengals in the first half, before Cincy rested their starters. The game was over after the Jets' first offensive possession. In other words, the Jets D and running game is more than enough to beat Cincy, who has looked horrible over the past 4-5 games; and

-As much as I think the Eagles should win this game, I have to stick with the Cowbitches because I think Tony Romo is playing his best football right now. Don't ask me why but I suddenly want to root for them. I hate the Eagles and Cowboys equally but I'm just sick and tired of Donovan McNabb and Andy Reid. It's been 6 years boys, you had your chance. Step aside.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Anyways, MJ raises some valid points about the Ravens chance of winning (b/c no Welker) and about the Jets. i've always disliked the Jets, I don't know why. And this year, I've decided to pick completely off emotion because I love to torture myself as none of my picks come true, so I wouldn't be surprised either way. For the Jets to lose, clearly, Sanchez has to throw some INTs. But I believe in him!

also, MJ - I swear you've been rooting for the Cowboys in the past as well.

MJ said...

Um...Gutsy, when have I ever rooted for the Cowbitches? I hate them the way people from Cleveland hate Pittsburgh or Cincy.

I may have defended them or argued in their favor because I think people have a stilted view of that team but I've never rooted for them before.

I genuinely like Tony Romo and I wish the Giants had him as their QB. Besides that, the Cowbitches can go eat shit and die. But, with regards to Romo, I see a lot of A-Rod in him: a supremely talented player that gets ripped for things that are beyond his control and unfairly labeled as "un-clutch" even though there is no evidence to support that claim. I'm rooting for Tony the way I root for anyone that gets ripped for no good reason.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

I suppose my interpretation that you root for the Cowboys is just my way of interpreting your hatred of the Giants. You probably didn't root for the Cowboys... you've just been rooting for the demise of Eli.

MJ said...

I don't hate the Giants or root against them, ever. I'm just not one that wears blinders about my favorite team. They've been mediocre for years, except that people believe the Super Bowl victory tells them otherwise. Had the Cardinals held the Steelers down in that final drive, would the Cards have been any less of a mediocre champion?

I love the Giants but I openly and honestly discuss their flaws and shortcomings, probably so strongly as to confuse people into thinking I hate them.

As to Eli Mannning, he's an overrated quarterback who trades on the benefit of his famous last name. If his name were Smith, we wouldn't give him and his turnover-prone tendencies the time of day.

I have never rooted for the Cowboys before and will stop rooting for them this year as soon as Tony Romo gets the respect he so richly deserves. Romo's better than Eli Manning but he gets treated like he's far, far lower on the food chain. It's insane.

Erin R. said...

The Chargers over the Colts? Bold prediction, counselor. Do you really think San Diego can actually beat Indy? Or is this prediction just for the sake of continuity? I'm just not convinced that Manning and the Colts can be stopped by an actual lighting bolt much less Rivers and the Chargers.