Monday, August 02, 2010
Monday: Odds and Ends, NFL Exhibition
Unbelievable but the NFL preseason has started. The soon to be defunct 4 game exhibition season. The profit machine that is having kids watch grown men catch balls ejected at them by jugs machines. Yep...training camp. So here are the 6 things I'm following for this training ...in no particular order
1. The TO and Chad Ocho Cinco Show - Well partly I'm wondering if there massive ego's colliding will cause a fault line to open up but on the field production is where my eyes are. Everyone (including me) forgets that the Bengals were the division champ last year and an improved passing attack could turn the Bengals into a Super Bowl darkhorse.
2. Mark Dirty Sanchez Year 2 - Sanchez, who was putrid for most of the season, played his best ball in the playoffs. Will that continue? Will the dreaded sophomore slump hit Sanchez? Will the HBO Curse strike the Jets? Is there a HBO curse?
3. Cutler and Mad Martz - This appears to be an all in move by the Bears. I mean you have to be a little desperate to bring in the mercurial Martz as assistant. Cutler's strong arm seems to be a good fit for Martz but the Greatest Show on Turf is a long time gone. Will this experiment work?
4. Kolb v. Mcnabb - Actually this might be my most intriguing storyline of the season. Kolb and Andy Reid versus Mcnabb and Shannahan. Reid made the ballsy move to ship McNabb out to an in-division rival. Will both do well? Will one do demonstrably better than the other? Who?
5. The Jake Delhome Reclamation Project - For those unaware Jake is 35 and was dumped by the Panthers. He is in Cleveland to provide the veteran leadership and to be a tackling dummy for the next 2 years until the quarterback of the future. That said Holmgren/Heckert theoretically picked Delhomme over alternatives so Delhomme is expected to avoid 6 INTs a game. Will he?
6. New England Reunion - Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel have joined Scott Pioli to get the band back together. The Chiefs have only to go but up however Cassel with Weis need to show a lot more this year to justify his status as legitimate NFL starter.
What did I miss?