Monday, November 15, 2004

An ode to Clint

So I was out with the people and one of my adoring fans wanted a change from the usual poker routine (thanks Seth..keep reaching for that rainbow). Never say that I am not a man of the people. So this week's theme is to the greatest western hero of all time: Clint Eastwood.

The Good:
Two words: Peyton frickin Manning. This guy is in zone. This week he threw for 5 touchdowns (this is the third time he did it this THIS SEASON). At this pace he will set the all time touchdown mark in a season surpassing Dan Marino. Heck at this rate he's going to pass Kareem Abdul-Jabbars mark of most points by a person in any sport. Peyton Manning is not only going to win the NFL MVP but also the Heisman Trophy (yes he's that good.)

The Bad
Have you ever had deja vu? Minnesota last year sprinted out of the gates with a 6-0 record before crashing into the ground and not making the playoffs. This year they galloped to a 5-1 record. After their searing loss to Green Bay they are back in second place and once again at risk of not making the playoffs. I'm not sure whats in the water up north (see Timberwolves for confirmation) but it causes an awful lot of choking. Have you ever had deja vu?

The Ugly
Speaking of the past, it feels like just last year that the Carolina Panthers were in the Super Bowl. That they came within a heartbeat of winning the Super Bowl. This week they struggled to barely beat the worst team in the league (read San Fran). Yes I know their top receiver and running back are out. But how does a team topple so fast?

The Crazy
I could have gone with Ron "I need time off to promote my rap album" Artest. But instead I'll settle on Maurice Clarrett. Let us assume for a second his charges that football players get special treatment in college (I know its a stretch). But you really think bad mouthing your former team is winning you brownie points with the good old boys of the NFL? I can just hear Clarrett losing money every time he opens his mouth. Whoever does that kids publicity better get a restraining order so that Maurice has to stay at least 50 feet from a microphone.

The Random
Dallas Mavericks are playing well. Guess they made the right choice on Nash. Its a long season (especially in the division of death) but I have a feeling Dallas is making the playoffs. Last week I said the Cavs needed to improve rebounding and sure enough Drew Gooden has been rattling off double doubles. If I say I need a new car, I wonder if next week magically I'll get one. I'm firmly going to state if anyone can go undefeated in the SEC they deserve to go the championship game. Possible bowl match-up that I think will be interesting: California v. Michigan in the Rose Bowl. I think we'll see how good the Pac-10 is. Happy trails to Omar...

1 comment:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

It's true about the SEC... anyone who finishes undefeated there gets a definite spot in the championship.
Perhaps more exciting though, is that Utah is in store for a BCS berth by sitting at the #6 position. The amazing twist is rule #3 which has never been used before:
Rule#1: "6 conference champions get bids"
Rule#2: "Top 6 in BCS get BCS berths"
Rule#3: "IF too many teams qualify, conference champions first, then by final BCS ranking."
What this means is that either California or Texas gets the shaft at the end, as long as Utah stays in the top 6. Should be interesting.