Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Week 11- It Worked For George Costanza

Well, I’ve reached a new level of futility. In Week 8, I had my first every sub-.500 week. In Week 9, I completed a back-to-back “6-8” week, and had T-shirts & hats made up for all the fans. Last week, I was intent on picking enough upsets to buck the trend. For one fleeting moment last Sunday (Week 10)- I checked the scores and was in danger of missing EVERY game on Sunday. Atlanta sealed the deal, Baltimore won in OT, and I managed to get 2 games right. Then I missed all the 4PM games, and I ended with a whopping 4 games right out of 14.

I need a new theory to break the funk. So, in honor of George Costanza, I will pick the opposite of whatever I truly think this week. Yes, for every game.

Manwich Matchup of the Week-
Indy @ Chicago-
Does anyone else see startling comparisons between this Krenzel-led Bears team and the Buckeyes? Both really had no offense, both relied on defense & special teams to make plays and points, and Krenzel never really does anything well, but keeps on winning.
You know what though, no matter how good the Bears defense is, I can't see them scoring enough to stay w/ Indy.
Pick: Chicago

Upset of the Week-
Green Bay @ Houston-
I still don't trust GB. Seriously, their defense sucks, there's no way they can beat any of the AFC teams they are going to play. In addition, you would think Houston would start winning again, now that D.Davis is healthy again.
Pick: Green Bay

Arizona @ Carolina-
Do you realize the Cardinals are just 1 game under .500? And they almost beat the Falcons back in the beginning of the season. Coach Denny Green is the man.
Pick: Carolina

Dallas @ Baltimore-
What in the world happened to the Dallas D from last year? Where did it go? My conspiracy theory is that some of the players got sucked into the computer, in order to compete to the death, just like in the movie Tron.
Pick: Dallas

Denver @ New Orleans-
Well, New Orleans got another improbable victory, which means this week they are due for a loss. They are the most unpredictable team, going against the most unpredictable QB in Jake Plummer. It's either 4 TDs, 0 INTs, or 0 TDs, 4 INTs.
Pick: New Orleans

Detroit @ Minnesota-
Minnesota really is going to make their move. I swear. With 4 Fantasy RBs, they should be fine. Detroit can't even run the ball or score any points on offense anymore.
Pick: Detroit

NY Jets @ Cleveland-
So, the Browns upset pick failed last week. This week seems easier, facing a fading team, w/ a backup QB, and the Browns have been great at home. It's a good thing the George Costanza theory is working, because it seems too good to be true.
Pick: NY Jets

Pittsburgh @ Cincinnati-
I can't think of one reason for Cinci to win this game.
Pick: Cincinnati

San Fran @ Tampa Bay-
Tampa Bay is 3-6, which looks pretty good in the NFC. San Fran is 1-8, which doesn't look good anywhere.
Pick: San Fran

St. Louis @ Buffalo-
Now that the Rams have swept Seattle, they just have to win the games they are supposed to, and the division is theirs.
Pick: Buffalo

Tennessee @ Jacksonville-
Jacksonville almost lost last week w/o giving up an offensive touchdown. I totally jinxed Garradio into performing well last week.
Pick: Tennessee

Miami @ Seattle-
The first game w/o the moustache. I think I've been claiming that Seattle will be "enraged" about 4 times this season, and yet nothing happens. This time, I swear they're mad.
Pick: Miami

New England @ Kansas City-
Is KC's spirit broken yet? Man, they sure are star-crossed.
Pick: KC

STAYING THE COURSE- NO GEORGE THEORY HERE DOWN
San Diego @ Oakland-
Ok, this is one of 3 games I refuse to apply the "George Costanza" theory for. I'm sorry, the Chargers look fantastic.
Pick: San Diego

Atlanta @ NY Giants-
Eli Manning's first game. Won't be too pretty against that ferocious front 7 of the Falcons.
Pick: Atlanta

Washington @ Philly-
TO finds his way into trouble every week. Personally though, I think it was cool that a naked chick jumped into his arms as a promotion. Seriously, who's going to turn that down? Next time, ABC should make her wear a flesh-colored bikini, proving there really is no difference.
Pick: Philly

Last Week: 4-10
Season: 81-63
Manwich Matchup: 4-6 (Seattle failed me again.)
Upset Special: 5-5 (I lost on the Browns. That was pretty foolish.)

1 comment:

Mighty Mike said...

Bloody FCC interfering with my right to see a woman's naked back. The question is how well will Ivan do - with 10 representing Jimmy the Greek and 1 represents a monkey flinging feeces at a dartboard. I'm going with a 2.4