Sunday, November 28, 2004

5th Street: I got nothing

"Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no." A quote from the Simpsons. What does this have to do with sports this week? Well sports doesn't seem to make sense so why should my articles?

1. Browns v. Benglas. 106 points. 962 yards. Yeah when I envision a shoot out I think back-up quarterback and nearly rookie/robotic quarterback. The second half of that game was something out of Madden. Fumbles, interceptions, penalties, and no defense. None. For all I know the Bungals and Clowns only fielded 7 defensemen. And the way injuries piled up in that game why not.

2. Butch Davis still being coach (or its true as I'm posting this). Let's think the Clowns best offensive player (read K2) was injured on a return team. As some sort of loyalty to symmetry Butch put his best defenseman (read Andra Davis)on the return team and suprise, suprise he's hurt for the year(s). Please someone end this man's reign.

3. The end of parity. Remember the last few years when everyone marveled at the parity of the league. Any team could beat any other. Its a dog fight to win a division. The Eagles clinched their division today. As in before december. There are 3 one loss teams. And Indy isn't that far behind. Yeah there's about as much parity here as the ill-fated man v. bear eating contest or the Norman Chad versus a gorilla wrestling match (turns out Norman Chad can really wrestle).

4. Drew Brees to Antonio Gates. At the begining of the year if someone had told me that the most prolific combination would be Drew "I'm not sure I'm starting" Brees to Antonio "Wait am I playing football or basketball" Gates I'd have called you a liar (and possibly some other things that apparently the FCC frowns on). This is Gates second year playing football. Man oh Man is he good though.

5. Seattle, Phoenix, Orlando first place in their respective divisions. I don't even have anything to say about that other than its a long season. But if the season ended today (and boy is that an overworked phrase these days) I think only Ivan would have predicted any of that. Indiana has won 3 out of 4 games since the massive suspension/purge. I got nothing on that one either (other than Larry Bird needs to get some sort of super award for having that much depth). Finally if anyone at all can explain why I should watch Big East football (let alone watch it in a BCS game) you win a $1.25

1 comment:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

1- 106 points, 962 yards. 1 word: Inconceivable!
2- I didn't know that's how Andra Davis got hurt. Sure is funny though. I guess you don't learn until it happens twice. (Or at least that's what I hope)
3- Shout outs to Norman Chad are the bomb.
4- I still can't get over Antonio Gates, and how he's so dominating, and how I laughed at him when he said DURING his senior season that "he may not make the NBA..." but he "liked his chances to be in the NFL as a TE."
It really makes a lot of sense though, and I think we'll be seeing more of this (like Tony Gonzalez also). The fact is, a 6-5 or 6-6 guy isn't that big a deal in the NBA, but in the NFL, it's just a huge advantage at CB, WR, and TE.
5- Yes, I was right on those Phoenix Suns. But I probably had Orlando & Seattle right near the bottom. I'm no Nostradamus. Just check out my football record!