Sunday, March 12, 2006

More Tourney Thoughts

Just to add on to Gutsy's thoughts...

1) The easist draw I thought surprisingly went to Memphis. UCLA and Kansas are big unknowns. Neither of those teams got out of the first round last year. Not to say they haven't been hot down the stretch but they are at best unproven commodities under their respective coaching regimes. Outside of Pittsburgh, nearly of all the seeds seem bottom rung respective to the other brackets.

2) Team in that shouldn't be goes to Air Force. I don't think Air Force beat/played/saw a team that was ranked in the top 25. Just pathetic. Cincinnati or Hofstra I have ranked higher than Air Force. Looks like the Bearcats are back in the coaching hunt. Look for the Mid-Major coach that wins to head to Cincinnati.

3) The toughest area of the bracket seems to be concentrated in the bottom half of the East Bracket (I refuse to use the D.C. nomenclature). UNC, MSU, George Mason, Witcha St., Tennessee are all quality teams that could make it the sweet sixteen. It also features the potential rematch of last year's final 4 UNC v. MSU (as Gutsy noted already). That's more loaded than MJ's baked potato.

4) First round match-ups I'm looking forward to : West Virginia v. Southern Illinois, Pitt v. Kent State, Kentucky v. UAB, G'Town v. N. Iowa and My Liver v. St. Pattie's.

5) Non-story - I think Allan Ray, injured Villinova star, will be fine and lead his team deep into the tournament. Will the eye injury looked severe I'm confidant/hopefull that things will turn out ok for the All-American

No comments: