Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sir Charles

In case you haven't heard, Charles Barkley was arrested at 1:30 last night in Arizona on suspicion of drunken driving. Now, of course, he is innocent until proven guilty, a concept I am quite familiar with, but I thought a great way to end the year was to display some quotes and pictures of one of sports' most colorful characters: Sir Charles.
Barkley was clearly in innovator in colorful antics on and off the playing field and really paved the way for some of today's superstars.

Here are some real Barkley quotes (and random pictures thrown in):

"I don't know what that gas is made of, but it can't smell any worse than Ernie Johnson 's gym bag."

"I got superstar treatment. Every else got bologna and water. I got bologna and milk (while in a Milwaukee jail)."
"Somebody hits me, I'm going to hit him back. Even if it does look like he hasn't eaten in a while."

"The only difference between a good shot and a bad shot is if it goes in or not."

"If the politically correct police ever came into a professional locker room ... Oh my God ... we could start World War III every day in there."

"I was asked for years about being a Republican, probably because most black people are Democrats. My mother heard it once and called me and said "Charles, Republicans are for the rich people." And I said, "Mom, I'm rich."
"I am not a role model. I am paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court. Parents should be role models. Just because I dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

"What does politically correct mean? If you're fat, don't ask me if you're fat, because I'm gonna tell you the truth. You're fat."

"When I speak to kids I tell them, "Hey, you think your parents are a pain in the ass now, but they're going to get smarter as you get older." (huh?)

"Sometimes that light at the end of the tunnel is a train."


"The main thing to do is relax and let your talent do the work."

"We don't need refs, but I guess white guys need something to do."

"If I weren't earning $3 million a year to dunk a basketball, most people on the street would run in the other direction if they saw me coming."




"I think that the team that wins game five will win the series. Unless we lose game five." (did he steal that from Bill Walton)

"I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."

"I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It." (I think that's the title of this book......yeah, he wrote book)

"Any time a little midget does something like this, you gotta give him a 10 (regarding a Nate Robinson dunk at All-Star weekend)!."

"Thank God for Jerry Springer's show. I thought only black folks were that screwed up until I watched Jerry Springer."

"I came to the realization a couple months ago that I am fat. If you get tired from walking - and that's all that golf is - then you are officially fat."
Have a good new year all

No comments: