Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Really?

Listen up, people. I’m about to blog hockey for perhaps the only time this season.



The NHL has decided to suspend Dallas Stars defenseman Sean Avery for an indefinite period of time due to remarks he made about two of his ex-girlfriends (Elisha Cuthbert (above) and Rachel Hunter (below)).




I just don’t see the big deal here. It may not be what you say in polite conversation at an office cocktail party or at a formal dinner. But I just don’t get why what he said was deemed so inappropriate. I mean, it’s not like he’s lying, is it? Several NHL players are dating his sloppy seconds (and what fantastic sloppy seconds they are, might I add).

What does that say about me that I’m totally indifferent to Avery’s comments? I guess I’ve either been desensitized by the ever-increasing crudeness of our culture or, more likely, I just think we have to pick our battles a little more carefully. Censorship of this variety seems petty to me. Avery didn’t slur anyone, didn’t disrespect his employers, and didn’t commit any crime.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman seems to be taking a page from his counterparts at the NFL and NBA. It seems like this is a precedent that screams “I’ve got sand in my vag and I’m not going to take it anymore!”

No comments: