Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mediocrity Reigns

The NFC Championship Game will be contested between a team (Arizona Cardinals) that went 9-7 in the worst division in the NFL and a team (Philadelphia Eagles) that went 9-6-1 in a good division but was nevertheless one of the most erratic and perplexing teams in recent NFL memory.

I can't think of too many other sports where two truly mediocre teams -- teams that would otherwise not have made the playoffs if records were the only thing that counted -- can be playing in a semifinal game for the right to play for the league championship.

I love Tom Coughlin but he lost control of this game. Then again, it's pretty hard to be a successful head coach in the NFL when your starting QB is without question the most overrated player in the NFL. Eli Manning sucks. I welcome anyone who wishes to argue this point with me. Come on, I dare you to step up.

The 2007 Giants were a miracle. The 2008 Giants were overrated. The 2009 Giants will finish in last place in their division and draft in the top 15 next year. Eli Manning is the worst thing to happen to my favorite NFL franchise and I'm terrified of how many more years it will take before the Giants realize that Eli has been killing them since he took over the team in 2005.

No comments: