Monday, July 12, 2010

The Big World Cup Winner: Paul the Octopus


For those unaware yesterday Paul the Octopus completed his historic run by correctly predicting the outcome of the World Cup Championship. The so called Oracle from Oberhausen was 8 for 8 in correctly picking World Cup Games and became famous enough to receive death threats (or eating threats. not sure). Sure you could chalk it up to chance (or 1/256) or you can believe that this octapus is indeed gifted in prognostication. Unfortunately we will never know as Paul is retiring from the world of prediction and returning the quiet life his loves so dearly. Thank you Paul for reinstalling my faith in the abilities of mollusks.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Having eaten octopus for dinner on Saturday night, I sure hope that Paul doesn't now predict my untimely demise as revenge...

Gutsy Goldberg said...

I like that the octopus went out on top. Maybe now it will take up predicting baseball games, then do poorly, then return to dominating the predictions of soccer games.

MJ said...

I'd love it if Paul started predicting baseball games. I would make it a personal vow that if Paul ever rooted for the Red Sox, I'd grill him with lemon and serve him to a table of hungry Greeks.