Monday, July 19, 2010

Monday: Odds and Ends



Less than 50 Shopping Days until the College Football Season Starts! This week (or next) I will begin the great conference preview countdown. Just to wet the appetites...Jake Locker of Washington appears to be the current favored #1 QB taken in the 2011 draft (if that happens)...however Chris Ponder (of FSU) is considered by many to be the second best senior QB. Obviously there's a season to go (and new stars to arise) but look for the draftniks to focus on Locker and Ponder

Superfight Unlikely In the on again off again saga that is the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight is now off again . I suppose it could say something about how boxing is all but in the dustbin of history like Mr. Pibb (sigh) but I suppose in an era where image is everything, large payouts simply aren't enough anymore to bring out great competition.

Where's my Favre Controversy? For the first time in what seems like 7 years the will he won't he saga of Brett Favre playing has oddly been quiet. No, he's still debating if he'll play but it just isn't getting the air time it used to. Maybe the NBA offseason sucked it up. Maybe Favre's lying in wait for his own "Decision Special". Maybe Favre's Mississippi farm is one giant tar ball. Who Knows but I for one am thankful for the quiet.

RIP Lou Brown. Possibly my all time favorite manager, Lou Brown (played by James Gammon) passed away over the weekend. Gammon delivered perfect timing to create one of the more quotable sports characters. Perhaps other people have their own favorite Lou Brown scene but mine was

Roger Dorn: Lou! Can I have a word with you, here?
Lou Brown: Sure.
Roger Dorn: See, I've got it right here in my contract. It says, "I don't have to do any calisthenics that I don't feel are necessary." So what do you think about that?
Lou Brown: [drops the contract on the ground and urinates on it, then walks off]

4 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

1) I can't believe Lou Brown passed away. So sad.
2) what's up with the bear and the rifle in that picture?

Mighty Mike said...

It's a Monday. I need the Shotgun Bear for motivation....

Hitman said...

Forget the curveball, Ricky - give him the HEATER!

MJ said...

1) I think at this point the quiet on the Favre front is simply because everyone knows he's going to play. Sure, ESPN is trying to drum up controversy by reporting stupid things like "Coach Childress visits Favre in Mississippi" or "Favre talks to teammates this weekend" but the truth is that ESPN's reporting is self-serving because no one else cares about Favre any more.

2) RIP Lou Brown. My favorite Brown quote is, was and always will be (when asked if he wants to manage again) "Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls."