Sunday, January 30, 2005

NBA Midseason: Redux

Well if Ivan is giving out awards like Koosed gives out bad advice then I'm all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake. Here's a little list of my take on the NBA season

Midseason MVP:

I keep harping it but I gotta go with Nash. If I was to overlook Nash I would go with....Dwayne Wade. Miami is the best team in the East. With Shaq there, everyone else tends to get overlooked. When a key shot needs to be made in the fourth quarter.. the Flash is getting the ball. Against Houston today he had 30-8-7, now thats a stat sheet. I'm never certain what criteria one judges the MVP. If it is which player is an integral part of a succesful team it would be Nash. If an MVP is the player, on a championship caliber team, you want holding the rock on then its Wade.

Rookie of the Year:
Omeka Okafor. Is he a good player on a crappy team or just an average player on a really crappy team. Beats me. But you don't reattle off like 18 straight double-doubles without getting a little dap. Sometimes staying in school pays off. My only question if Okafor was a high schooler would he be as ignored by the media as he is now. And then the media wonders why high schoolers come out in droves. Tisk Tisk.

Most Inspirational:

Grant Hill and his most improved Orlando Magic. Did anyone see this guy playing in February last year? Did anyone see Orlando in the playoffs? That would be a negative, houston. I don't care if the NBA has to invent award, Grant Hill deserves a trophy for something.

Most Disappointing:

Minnesota..This is a team that was poised for an NBA run and then they remembered sharing don't pay the dogs. Latrell "12 million dollars a year doesn't feed my family" Sprewell started the me-ism and the disease has spread. The Candyman and Cassel seemed to have the disease and/or no ligments in their legs. Garnett is probably in line for most frustrated NBA player award.

Best Hairdo
Anderson Varejao...he's so money and he doesn't even know it.

NFL Draft Watch:
Begins now. Unleash Mel Kiper from his holding cell.

1 comment:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Good point about Okafor- it's like he's expected to get double-doubles left & right.

You can't go wrong with Nash as MVP, but he is such a defensive liability, I don't know what the Suns are going to do come playoff time, unless they can score 120 every night.