Thursday, March 03, 2005

Q & A with Isiah Thomas


Suave GM Isiah Thomas Posted by Hello

--I’d just like to thank you for taking time out of your day to join us for this chat. Not many people realize the extensive experiences you’ve had. After playing, you started out as a Toronto Raptor GM, but you left before the team made the playoffs, AFTER you had selected Tracy McGrady in the draft. What exactly happened?

We were starting to build a great team with Vince Carter, and T-Mac was just 18 years old. On Toronto, T-Mac was a rookie, and was hooked on some video game called “Quake” where you shoot lots of people. Can you believe that? I can’t believe youngsters today. I went in once, turned off his game, smiled and said, “Violence is not the way young man.” He says that I turned off his game on the last level and really held a grudge against me. This really hurt our relationship I think. But I really laid a great foundation for them and anyways, I got to broadcast games on NBC when I left [big Isiah-smile].

--After NBC, you became owner of the CBA. Some people have said that you “killed the league”. Do you have any response to this?

I didn’t kill the league. I minimized my losses before a complete financial failure occurred, by selling after owning the league for 2 years. [big Isiah-smile].

--You then became coach of Indiana for 3 years and led the team to three 1st-round exits. What was that like?

It was a really young team, and I was really focused on building for the future [big Isiah-
smile].

--Larry Bird came in as president and quickly fired you. What was that all about?

Once I made some comments to him, and I think he’s just jealous of my 2 NBA Championships. [big Isiah-smile.]

--Wow, that’s bold. Wait a minute, I think Bird has 3 NBA championships.

Championship is a state of mind. I don’t think he has the state of mind that I have [big Isiah-smile].

--That’s for sure. Well, now that we got the past out of the way, tell me about your plans with the Knicks.

I’m in a real great situation, with owners who are really supportive of whatever I do. I actually have done some research and found that in sports like baseball, the more you spend, the greater the chances for success.

--But your team is in the NBA last time I checked.

Well, spending a lot in baseball gives you a high probability of success. Baseball is an AMERICAN sport, so I think it can work in basketball also. [big Isiah-smile].

--Well that’s a pretty novel theory. I think you’ve made some real gutsy personnel decisions so far with the Knicks. What are your theories for personnel?

First off, I don’t like real young people. I look for players with maturity. I only relate well with people who are older who can remember me succeeding or who have been around the league a while. That’s why I like to acquire great players like Stephon Marbury, and ‘Lil Penny Hardaway last year.

--But Hardaway hasn’t gone by ‘Lil Penny for at least 5 years, and 3 knee surgeries!

Well, he’s still ‘Lil Penny in my mind. [big Isiah-smile]

--Did you know that you are paying him $14 million to be a bench player?

$14 million? The owners of the Knicks specifically told me not to worry about the salaries of any of the players. I told you, they are very supportive. So I instructed my front-office to not include salary amounts for all players when I’m evaluating talent. It took real negotiating skills to get Phoenix to throw in ‘Lil Penny with Marbury. [big Isiah-smile].

--You do realize there’s a salary cap! Your baseball tactics may not work in basketball. You can keep spending, but you know you can only take on 15% in extra salaries on each trade?

Once again, as I already said, the owners of the Knicks are great people, and I am following their instructions and not worrying about it. We are building a championship team for New York City, the “Big Apple” as some people call it. [big Isiah-smile]

--I think we’re running out of time, but I really appreciate you taking the time for this interview. You truly are one of a kind Isiah.

Thanks! I also have a consulting business on the side, so let me know if you ever need anything.

-- Oh my. What kind of consulting is it?

We work with larger companies, on sustaining success. We’ve had some miscues lately, but I think things will turn around, just like everything else. Championship is a state of mind! [big Isiash-smile].

2 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

Wait are you hinting that Isiah is a horrible GM/coach/talent evaluator/shoe salesman?

MJ said...

Fantabulous commentary by Isiah. He's really an upbeat guy. Maybe we should put him in charge of the airline industry. They could stand to gain from Isiah's business acumen.

But seriously folks...

Isiah is actually a very astute evaluator of basketball talent. He drafted McGrady out of high school (we all know how good T-Mac is now), traded for Jermaine O'Neal when he had a career 3.9 ppg scoring average (again, we all know how good he turned out to be) and traded for Ron Artest. Sociopathic tendencies aside, Artest has blossomed into a legitimate star since he arrived in Indiana. On the Knicks, he unearthed the future gem that is Trevor Ariza. Trust me, the guy knows hoops talent.

The big problem is that he's just a lousy businessman in a tight-knit fraternity of people who don't punish failure like the rest of corporate America.