Monday, April 09, 2007

First Thoughts On Baseball '07, Take 2

1. While watching baseball highlights over the weekend, I noticed something that really bothered me. No, I’m not talking about ESPN’s overreaction to the Yankees’ starting rotation getting off to a bad start (I’ve grown accustomed to ESPN taking blatant potshots at the Yanks). I’m talking about the peculiar trend of closers wildly celebrating the final out of meaningless April games.

Sure, every win is nice and teams should feel good about themselves when they beat their opponents but is manic fist-pumping and screaming really necessary? I mean, it’s April for Pete’s sake! Save some juice for games that actually mean something important. I’d say it’s disrespectful to show up your opponent but that would make me sound too prude. Sportsmanship is important but I’m far more bothered that players just don’t get the motto “act like you’ve been there before.”

So, to Jon Papelbon of the Red Sox and Francisco Rodriguez of the Angels, I say the following: Shove it up your ass already with the fist-pumping and World Series style celebrating when it’s only April. It makes you look like a bunch of amateurs. We know you’re good and your opponents know you’re good. But you should take lessons from Mr. Sandman, the king of the understated, ho-hum 9th inning.

2. I didn’t get to talk about this last week so it’s not as topical but I found the coverage of Daisuke Matsuzaka’s first start to be ridiculously over-the-top. He struck out 10 hitters in 7 innings. I know that’s been done before. He held the Royals to six hits and only one earned run. I know that’s been done before too. He had good command of a variety of breaking and off-speed pitches and projected a presence out there. I’m certain that’s been done before.

So why do people insist on ALREADY comparing him to Roger Clemens, Tom Seaver, and Greg Maddux? Those three guys won nearly 1,000 big league games combined. Dice-K’s got only one career win, against one of the worst teams in baseball. I’m not saying he’s not going to be a good pitcher, I just think it’s ridiculous how much people are hyping this guy up.

3. Happy Birthday to the Hitman who turns 29 today. As loyal a friend as anyone could ever ask for. Many happy returns old pal.

No comments: