Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Great All-Star Game Memories

I was wondering if anyone else had any great all-star game memories. While I will never forget Bo Jackson's monstorous home run in the 1989 all-star game to lead off the game, it wasn't my favorite. My favorite was the 1997 all-star game in cleveland. I was there, sitting in the bleachers with my family. As most of you know, 1997 was the magical season for the Indians, where everything came together, except for one inning October, but I won't dwell on that.
Anyway, it was an amazing game, highlighted by Sandy Alomar Jr's 2-run homer in the seventh inning off Shawn Estes. The AL wow 3-1, and Alomar won the MVP. He was the first player to win the MVP in his home park.
The starting pitchers were Maddux and Randy Johnson, and also featured Roger Clemens, Pedro, Schilling, and Mariano Rivera.
This was also the game where Larry Walker stepped up against Randy Johnson. The first pitch sailed high over Walker's head, and he then, stepped out, turned his helmet around, then stepped back up to the plate right handed even though he normally bats lefty.
Anyone else got a good one.

No comments: