Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Mighty Bets on the BCS Bowls

There are five BCS Bowls. Five chances to make some money, five chances to make an ass out of my self. So without further ado, MahaMighty's BCS bowl picks. In decreasing order of certainty.....

Sugar Bowl
What I'm Willing to Bet: Boba Fett Action Figure
Pick: Florida over Cinci
You know I'm certain if I'm willing to risk the Fett man. Cinci was overmatched coming in. Then they have the coaching fiasco of coaching fiascos their ex-coach at Notre Dame, their future coach in waiting, and their interim coach out the door to Buffalo. You really think a team with no defense and with a coaching staff in maximum flux is going to beat Florida?

National Championship
What I'm Willing to Bet: Colonel's Home
Alabama over Texas
As Stewart Mandel notes in the 3 games against top 40 defenses Texas has averaged 192 yards passing and has only thrown 2 TDs (and 5 INTs). I mean did anyone else notice what Nebraska's D did to Texas' offensive line? Then you factor in that Nick Saban has had an entire month to scheme on stopping Colt McCoy. Maybe if Texas' D shuts Alabama down and McCoy morphs into Vince Young the Longhorns can win. However I feel confident in risking Colonel's fortress monastery home.

Fiesta Bowl
What I'm Willing to Bet: James Buster Douglas KnockOut for Sega Genesis

TCU over Boise State
This is the classic offense versus defense game. TCU's #1 ranked defense faces off against Boise State's #1 scoring offense. However I'm pretty confident in going with TCU. First, I always pick defense over offense. Secondly, TCU has a pretty good offense (5th in the nation in scoring). Between those two factors I'm pretty certain in TCU beating Boise State in a bowl game for the second consecutive year.

Rose Bowl
What I'm Willing to Bet: A tiny glass trinket that represents the pain an Ohio State loss will bring me

Oregon over Ohio State
Once again a classic offense versus defense. Oregon's 6th ranked rushing attack against tOSU's 5th ranked rush defense. tOSU potentially has an advantage when they pit their power rushing attack against Oregon's undersized (but fast) defense. However Oregon has beaten the two teams Ohio State lost to (USC and Purdue). Secondly, after 3 straight years of bowl losses the luster is off Tressel's big game capabilities. So a close Texas style heartbreak at the end kinda game I'm guessing is in the cards. While an Ohio State victory is possible...I'm going with Oregon.

Orange Bowl
What I'm Willing to Bet: 3 Chicken Fingers

G-Tech over Iowa
If anyone is confident in predicting this game I laugh at your nonsense. Georgia Tech runs its unique Triple-Option and generally has done very well. Iowa gets an entire month to prepare for it and posseses the defensive line to stop it. They also get back their starting QB Stanzi. They also get a month to see if they can find a running game that could challenge G-Tech's porous rush defense. If anyone thinks G-Tech is unstoppable, take a look at Georgia's stomp down of them. As bad as the Big 10 has been the ACC has only 1 BCS victory this decade (and that's over the Big East). That said has anyone looked at an Iowa game this year and say that's a dominant team? I'll pick G-Tech but I'm not willing to bet a lot.

4 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Wow, great article!
1) If Cincy wins, you should mail their athletic director a Boba Fett action figure
2) I home 'Bama wins for Colonel Sanders' sake
3) I didn't even know that there was a "Buster Douglas knockout boxing." Something tells me it wasn't as successul as "Mike Tyson's Punchout!!!" Does this mean it's valuable b/c no one's seen the game before, or it's worthless b/c no one likes the game?

B. Hutchens said...

Wow, I didn't know that you were outside taking pictures of my house. I thought my fortress was inpenetrable.

The only boxing game I remember for the Genesis was Rocky, which was very difficult to beat up on Drago.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

I found a review for Buster Douglas boxing. Enjoy!

http://gamefreaks365.com/review.php?artid=1084

Hitman said...

This. Post. Was. Hilarious.