Monday, December 07, 2009

MMBSD: Alabama Coronation and Other Thoughts

As always Mighty's thoughts on the week of Sports

College Football

Coronation for Saban - Ye on the last day of the regular season the Tebow Child fought the Demon Saban on the Highest Mountain in the Highest Mountain Range near a Chick-fil-A. While the Tebow Child tried valiantly the Saban Demon tossed the Tebow Child from the mountain and crushed Herbie's dreams of anointing the Tebow Child the greatest College Football player ever. And the Tebow Child Cried. Not for himself but for those that will now have to suffer through the Era of Saban.

The true image of the Demon Saban

Ugly Wins - I've gone back and forth who had the uglier win Cinci or Texas. Cinci's defense looked horrendous -giving up 40+ to a team whose only offensive play was run straight ahead. Texas meanwhile combined a displaying its' degree from Les Miles School of Time Management with a completely absent running game. Neither look like they have a chance in their respective bowl games. I will say I feel a little for Nebraska fans as losing after seemingly getting a miracle win gets the full nut punch award.
Mighty is concerned that the bowl games will all be boring

Insulting - I wish I could characterize Matt Millen being on tv as anything other than insulting. While covering the Pitt v. Cinci game Millen repeatedly compared Pitt's RB (Dion Lewis) to Barry Sanders. Barry Sander's stats in college are the things of legend. Make believe. Kind of like a failure at everything other than being tapped as an elite by the plutocracy that decides on announcers getting a job calling Pitt v. Cinci. Just not believable.

Mainly Positive
In the end I'm actually happy the Fiesta Bowl selected TCU to play Boise State. I think it'll be a good match-up and this way I don't have to deal with is the Big 10 better than a mid-major type comments. For those unaware TCU beat Boise State last year 17-16 in the Poinsettia Bowl.

NFL

Fork I think we officially put a fork in the Steelers playoff hopes. Much like after the last time the Steelers won the Super Bowl, this year the team has been beset by injuries and lethargy. I'm not sure if the only thing wrong with that defense is a missing Polamalu

Pats Reeling - It's one thing to lose to the Colts and the Saints...it's an entirely different matter to lose to the Dolphins who don't have Ronnie Brown. I think it's safe to say that the Patriots aren't elite status at the moment. In fact I think it's fair to question if they are anything other than average in a crappy division.

Troubling - The NFL is apparently pulling the plug on revenue sharing. I'm not certain if this (as well as next year's uncapped status) is merely a negotiating manuever or Jerry Jones is finally getting his wet dream of turning the NFL into the MLB. In either event I find it troubling.

NBA
With Greg Oden unfortunately going down yet again it appears we can cross Portland off the list of teams that can challenge the Lakers out West. Frankly I don't think anyone can but I'm willing to consider Denver. I (and a lot of people) felt last year was a fluke. However Denver is back this year with the 2nd best record in the West. How? Well the addition of Ty Lawson is a big reason but a bigger reason is the transformation of Carmelo Anthony from all-star to superstar. Anthony simply seems unstoppable this year as he's obviously put in the time in the off-season to get physically stronger and faster.

World Cup

I really don't much to add about World Cup other than one interesting story line to follow is how South Africa continues to get ready to host the event. I believe native South African, Charlize Theron, is in charge of security. Don't let us down Charlize.

Umm...what was I saying again?

No comments: