Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Cheers and Jeers

In the world of journalism, much like the world of boxing, professional wrestling and comic books, nobody stays retired and/or dead , especially sports journalism. The pending re-apperance of two notables leads to cheers and jeers.

Cheers:
Keith Olbermann is back with Dan Patrick. While only for an hour, once a week (Fridays), and only on radio I was pleased to see Keith back with his buddy. Begrudgingly I've enjoyed Dan's ESPN radio show. I find his commentary witty, funny, insightful and most importantly level headed. He doesn't need to make outrageous comments (Dan Lebatard's racism charges against sports writers) or scream (Steven A. Smith) or smoke pot on air (Bill Walton). Keith has transformed himself from an enjoyable SportsCenter guy to probably the best cable news host (which is kind of like saying your the smartest person in Texas. Its not much of an accomplishment but still its something). Nonetheless cheers to their reunion. Hopefully it'll be good.

Jeers
To the return of Max Kellerman. Max Kellerman, who I believe is exactly 2 feet tall and who's parents are probably Jawas (had to the Star Wars reference), has to be one of THE worst sports commentators ever. I'm not even doing hyperbole here. He was the host of "Around the Horn" before being replaced by someone named "Statboy". Then he tried his hand on FoxSports at a show called "I, Max" which as Norman Chad correctly noted was the only show that listed all its viewers in its title. Well Max is back. He's a regular on the Situation with Tucker "I really am a dick" Carlson. Maybe Max knows something about politics. I wouldn't know. I just think he should be stored in the dark labrynth that holds Mel Kiper Jr. when its not the NFL draft.

6 comments:

MJ said...

First, there's nothing wrong with smoking pot on the air (does he really do that?!)

Also, Max Kellerman is going to be on TV with Tucker Carlson? Does Max know politics or does Tucker know boxing? I'm confused here.

By the way, all of us AEPi's are separated from Max by 1 degree. Max Kellerman and Josh Helpern went to high school together.

Mighty Mike said...

Kellerman will be doing politics with Tucker. I don't understand so don't ask

Mighty Mike said...

Please note I have updated the original post to include a hyperlink of Tucker and Max discussing politics. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

Anonymous said...

Tucker to Max: "you may have defended the indefensible, but nobody does it better than you do." That is just priceless material. You're right Tucker, nobody does it better than Max Kellerman when it comes to defending the politically indefensible.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

The sweet science of politics? I don't understand this. I guess programmers like to have obnoxious people so that we can complain about it, then people tune in to measure the annoyingness, and then other shows do countdowns of "most obnoxsious TV personalities". What a business model.

Hitman said...

Mikey, I love the Norman Chad line. Priceless!