Sunday, June 19, 2005

Sunday Sunday Sunday

Wel its Sunday June 19th and I have to say this is turning into one of the more exciting days for the sports guys/gals calendar. We have golf, baseball, basketball and possibly most importantly...Mighty Mikey's Sunday Sports Column.

1) US Open at Pinehurst
Retief Gossen is currently 3 strokes ahead sitting at 3 strokes below par. Let me repeat that someone is winning a professional golf tournament with -3. Heck I think Tiger Woods had -3 on the front 9 at the Masters. At this tournament you could have a bogey and pick up strokes. I actually enjoy watching professional golfers look like me on the links: hacking away, constantly being in the rough, running people over accidently with golf carts. Of course its not over yet. Retief is being chased by some fat guy named Jason Gore, Tiger lurking somewhere and of course last year's Cinderella story outta nowhere, Carl Spackler, former greenskeeper, who became the masters champion.

2) Game 5 NBA Finals
Well there the series is tied up at 2 a piece and ready for the final game in Detroit. I'm going to have to go on record as stating this is a must win for both sides and here's the logic (heck I don't even need stats I have logic): If Detroit loses they need to win 2 in a row IN San Antonio and thats about as likely as Larry Brown staying in Detroit for the next 2 decades. If Detroit wins that means San Antonio will have to win a game 7. Detroit over the past 2 years is undefeated (I believe 7-0) when they have the opportunity to close out a playoff series. San Antonio has yet to show, since big David Robinson retired, that they have the mental toughness to overcome big deficits. Everyone is already bringing up last years implosion against the Lakers. Stay tuned folks maybe this game will be close.

3) Baseball
Sorry to steal Mo's thunder but I need to take a little pop shot at Peter Gammons. Good old Pete wrote that 5 weeks ago (that would be mid May) the Indians were struggling. True. 1 point for Peter. Right now they're doing pretty well (albeit in arguably the toughest division in the AL at the moment). Right again Pete. Think hey can break his own personal record of 2 straight correct observations? If you answers no, you'd be right. Good old Pete then goes on to applaud Mark Shapiro for "not doing something" . Somebody can correct me but who sells off their team in May? Who goes crazy and trades for veteran talent in May? Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think anybody makes radical moves in May. Peter does raise a good point though of acting too quickly. Sometimes its necessary. Jason Giambi probably should've been thrown under the proverbial (possibly literal given that its New York) bus. But I tend to think inaction is the norm in the month and while I look Shapiro I don't think he should get accolades for being part of the norm.

4) My Column
I do love my Sunday column. Of course a lot of my ideas come from my various travels around the world. So I'm walking around and this guy bumps into me. Turns out it was
the Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. Which roughly translates: Where can I get coffee thats not Starbucks. So I direct him to a local coffeeshop. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

2 comments:

Hitman said...

Mikey, you misread Gammons' point entirely. He said:

"Mark Shapiro resisted the temptation that general managers sometime find irresistible -- to feed their egos by making trades to show the fans and media they are "doing something" -- and stuck with what he and manager Eric Wedge believe is a building team that can and will contend next season."

In other words, what you meant to say was that Gammons was, um, right again.

Mighty Mike said...

I disagree. I believe you misread my article. And by that I mean there were several typos. My editor will be fired or forced to watch the Cubs. Whichever is harder.