Thursday, February 28, 2008

Coach Coughlin

Amen!

I’ve always liked Coach Coughlin, even if he had a tendency to be a tad heavy-handed at times. When it looked like he might get fired at the end of the 2006 season, I wasn’t entirely in favor of letting him go but I could see the reasons behind such a move. Once the team decided that it was giving Coughlin a “last-chance” season, I was happy, if only because I felt that continuity was important at a time when Eli was in the throes of a make-or-break stretch of his career.

I’m really happy that the team has extended Coughlin for another four seasons. Obviously there’s no telling what the future holds for this team. I haven’t changed my opinion of Eli Manning – he’s still a mediocre talent with a lethal dose of streakiness – but I do believe that whatever challenges the team faces, they can at least look to the reservoir of goodwill and faith that Coughlin has built up with his players.

The next four seasons may not always be pretty and there’s a better than 50-50 chance that Coughlin doesn’t even make it to the end of his contract (coaches rarely do). But I’m looking forward to seeing Coughlin in a role that he’s never been in before – that of a winner.

No comments: