Monday, February 18, 2008

Monday Round Up

Well I'm still searching for the proper column to pen early in the week. I was originally considering a random rant or a formal column on a particular topic or the current default of grab bag. I wish I could create cartoons. There's just not enough cartoons satirizing sports stars anymore. That and a lack of tang. I'm not sure which is worse...

1. NBA Playoff Hunt - Of all the teams to watch as the playoff hunt kicks into the post All Star Break high gear probably the most intriguing are the Lakers. On paper its hard to argue another team is more talented. Two legitimate all-stars in Kobe and Gasol and two above averages in Bynum and Odom plus a collection of solid "glue guys" with Fisher and Walton at minimum. However Bynum is out and Kobe injured. Will Kobe play out the year or opt for surgery? If he does can the Lakers make the playoffs? How will Bynum integrate himself with Gasol when he returns? So many interesting questions and so much promise.

2. Inter-state Heat - For only the 5th time ever the #1 and #2 teams in the NCAA basketball are not only from the same state but playing each other. Memphis and Tennessee will go head to head. Both I feel have a lot to prove in terms of National Championship potential. Memphis just barely escaped UAB with a lucky (ahem) ref call. Tennessee has thrived a weak SEC. Well come Selection Time this game will mean a ton....

3. Soccer? Really? - Yep if you somehow can get the games tune in Tuesday and Wednesday for Champion's League. I've been told by our European Correspondent (who's identity remains anonymous due to national security) by Arsenal v. Defending Champ AC Milan as well Roma v. Real Madrid are the big games (with of course the scrappy team out of Turkey also must watch)

4. Perriloux Gone? With large amounts of schadenfreude I can state that it looks like the superstar next big thing at LSU Ryan Perrilloux is being kicked off the team. No reason given but I can only assume it involves international waters, a cockfight and Bea Arthur.

5. Hopes and Prayers - Somedays I miss out on the news of the day so when I say that Vikings' Kenechi Udeze was diagnosed with Leukamia it really took me by surprise. Its sometimes hard to imagine these titans suffer from the same ailments as us mere mortals. Obviously my hopes and prayers go out to Kenechi and his family.

No comments: