Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Baseball Predictions

After three tremendous victories in the form of divisional previews, I lost all control and completely blew my mission. Hey, sounds like the 2004 Yankees! With that, an abbreviated set of predictions:

AL East: Boston. At least over 162 games, the Red Sox will trump the Yankees.
AL Central: Minnesota. Keep an eye on Cleveland and Chicago though.
AL West: Anaheim (that's right, ANAHEIM) running away.
AL Wild Card: Yankees. No contest.

NL East: Florida. But if Burnett and Beckett can't stay healthy? Atlanta.
NL Central: The St. Louis F'in Cardinals.
NL West: Los Angeles Dodgers. No Bonds, no dice for the Giants.
NL Wild Card: Atlanta, very very narrowly over a host of teams, including the Cubs, Astros, Giants and Padres.

ALDS: Boston over Minnesota, Anaheim over New York. Sorry Mo - but if your buddy Mo Rivera doesn't get it together, your team can only get into October, and no further.
ALCS: Boston over Anaheim. Angels' lack of true pitching studs will finally catch up to them.

NLDS: Florida over St. Louis, Braves over Los Angeles. Watch as pitching carries the day.
NLCS: Florida over Atlanta. I hate the fish.

World Series: Could it be? Boston repeats.

3 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

I truly can think of nothing worse than seeing Boston play Florida for the World Series.

MJ said...

Multiple digs at the Yanks (and, by extension, me) in one posting by Hart. Nice work.

Hitman, you put too much faith in Boston's pitching staff over the course of a regular season. Clement, Wells and Arroyo are a pretty shabby 2-3-4 in my opinion. Granted, the Royals would be happy with it but in the AL, where there are two teams and nothing more, the Yanks trump the BoSox in the starting pitching category.

Of course, due to the Yanks' collapse in 2004 and yesterday afternoon, I'm reduced to quibbling over whether or not my team will win the division, let alone prevail in the post-season. Oh Javier Vazquez, look what you've done you filthy prick!

(PS -- Mikey, I'm right there with you. A Marlins-Red Sox World Series would be a royal snooze fest. Now that Boston's won it, their appeal is completely over and done. America needs a hero and an enemy in the Fall Classic. I propose Yanks vs. Reds. It would make everyone tune in).

(PPS -- Hart, before you propose Yanks vs. Cubs remember this, no one and I mean NO ONE, gives a shit about the Cubs. The Red Sox have more color and appeal as an "underdog" romantic story in one molecule of Manny's left nut than the entire Cubs team has in its collective body. People f-ing hate Dusty Baker and Mark Prior, me chief among them!).

Hitman said...

Mo, I agree with you - well, except for the "nobody gives a shit about the Cubs part." Truth is, there doesn't seem to be a dominant squad out there this year, which should make for an exciting season and postseason. So while I made the Boston over Florida pick, I'm not exactly thrilled with it.