Wednesday, April 13, 2005

NFL Draft Preview - Antrel vs. Samari

Well, the draft is about 10 days away. It’s time for a little analysis and predictions, of which I am not at all qualified to make. So certainly don’t gamble on any of these picks. I’m only going to highlight players that most of us know, so I’m only picking the...

Elite Eight

1. San Fran – Rodgers- QB – Cal
This guy will suck. I was excited to see this guy in the Bowl Game this January. He looked awful though. Balls were skipping into the receiver arms. It was like he had never read a non-Pac-10 defense. Actually, that was exactly the problem.
2. Miami – Ronnie Brown- RB– Auburn
Honestly, both of the Auburn RBs are awesome. You can’t go wrong with either. Either you take the smaller, faster Brown, or you’re driving a Cadillac.
3. Cleveland – Braylon Edwards -WR – Michigan
I pray that the Browns can trade down. Without any top talent available, the Browns will probably be stuck with this pick. I strongly believe the Browns are better off AVOIDING taking a QB (like Alex Smith of Utah) in the 1st round. I don’t think he’s that great of a prospect to command pick #3 money. In addition, the Browns are going to be horrible this year no matter what happens. Let Dilfer be the starter, pick up a QB in next year’s draft (or in one of the later rounds this year). Dilfer can hold down the fort for 2 years while the Browns win 5 and then 7 games the next 2 years. I really don’t think you need a top-5 QB to win. You just need smart scouting to pick a QB in a later round, or pluck a backup from some other team.
Now, as for Edwards, I don’t like him. I think he’s fast, but I don’t think he has the best hands. For some reason, I’ve seen him drop many balls. With the ball he’s dangerous. This has all the makings of a Quincy Morgan for the Browns – a tall, fast guy who just drops everything. I only can hope the Browns take Mike Williams if they opt for a WR.
4. Chicago – Cadillac Williams- RB – Auburn
5. Tampa Bay – some defensive player

I only know that Tampa gave up a lot of points last year.
6. Tennesee – Antrel Rolle- CB – Miami
I was reading an article last year detailing how utterly annoyed Antrel has been throughout his 4 years at Miami. Apparently, everyone thinks that he is related to Samari Rolle, who also was an All-American CB at Miami. They are not related at all, and Antrel is sick of explaining it, or so the story goes. Well, I think it's only DESTINY at this point for Antrel to replace Samari at Tennessee. Then, during the season, Antrel will take cheap shots at WRs who ask him how his big brother Samari is doing.
7. Minnesota – Mike Williams- WR – USC
See, IF the Browns decide to take a WR, this is the guy I would want. Everyone forgets just because Williams took the year off, but he was incredible at USC. If Minnesota gets Mike Williams, there might not be that much of a drop-off from the departed Randy Moss to Williams. Yes, I said Moss to Williams is not much of a drop-off. If the Vikings land Mike Williams they will win the division!
8. Arizona – Alex Smith- QB – Utah
QBs always have a way of finding their way to Coach Dennis Green. Yes, they have Kurt Warner now, but Green never hesitates on passing on a prospect. Green selected Culpepper, when Randall Cunningham was coming off an All-Pro year.

2 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

Mike Williams reminds me too much of Keyshawn Johnson and you know my feelings about Keyshawn. I think they should draft Hart and convert him to a WR. I mean he was a CB for Georgetown you know

MJ said...

I agree that Mike Williams should be a very solid pro and could have a little Moss in him. However, I don't have any faith in Mike Tice's ability to coach a football team and, as a result, win any division titles. Of course, he may win a division title only by default since Detroit and Chicago both suck and the Pack are showing major signs of age. That said, Tice is one of the worst coaches in football. He doesn't handle adversity at all and always goes on marathon losing streaks in the second half of the season. He can't manage a running game to save his life and has no clock management skills either. In short, he's a kind of Mike Martz without the genius understanding of an offense. Only Tom Coughlin is a crappier coach in the NFL.