Monday, April 25, 2005

NFL Draft

Ok, so I never actually made it to a computer to log on and post from the NFL draft but here's what went on...

I checked in at the staff desk at 8:40 on Saturday morning. I was fully pumped up to be working the greatest non-sports sports event in the world. As I signed in and received my credential for the day, Mel Kiper walks by. He's skinnier and punier than you'd think. It's true, TV adds 10 lbs. His hair was perfect.

After getting the rundown on what I'd be doing, my team of 4 was walked through the bowels of the Jacob Javits Convention Center. I got to see the corporate hospitality suites, the Fan Draft Room, the actual draft room (I thought about stealing a Browns helmet-phone but thought it might be career-suicide), and the green room.

After the walk-through, my little team of 4 stood outside, getting all the meat-heads to sign waiver forms to get into the event. That was the best part of the day. Hanging out with diehard football fans is one of the great things about this country. Soccer diehards are a bunch of hooligans who maim and kill based on ethnic, racial and religious grounds. Football diehards get together and chant "Dallas Sucks!" over and over until it gets old. Walking the crowd, a bunch of people called me out with a "Hey! There's Kurt Warner!" (yes, I admit, I look a little like Kurt Warner).

After getting everyone to fill out waivers, I helped out on getting the draft invitees and their families/possees into the green room. Now I'm a big guy (6'2" 265) but I felt like these guys could kick my ass blindfolded.

My shift ended at 11 AM and I got to hang out in the draft room for a while, just taking it all in. I got a gift bag for my efforts, to boot! All in all, a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

I hope the goody bag had cool stuff (like Mel Kiper hair care products or a Steven A Smith bobblehead doll )

I think my favorite part of the draft is when Mike Golic threw donuts into the stands to keep the peasants err fans content and the jelly from the donut got on Mel.

Gutsy Goldberg said...

Kurt,

That's a pretty sweet story. So getting involved with a player's posse is a bad idea? I think you just need to find the right posse to hang with so you don't feel slighted. Like what kind of posse do you think Steve Nash hangs out with?