Sunday, April 24, 2005

The greatest Non-Sport Sport Event

I heard this line repeated a lot by ESPN. The NFL Draft is the greatest Non-Sport Sport Event. Is there really any other non-sport sport event? There's the NBA lottery pick. That's kind of cool for those of like watching Isiah Thomas smile or watch whoever the GM at the moment in Golden States as he/she/it rubs a lucky rabbit foots. There's also Congress yelling at browbeating baseball players far more than they were towards people (and I use that in the loosest of terms) from Enron.

Nonetheless here's a few thoughts from the draft:
1) I like what the Cleveland Browns did. Now this of course is relative to what they did under the tyrannical rule of Emperor Butch Davis the First (a man whose head is so far up his ass, we can't tell if he's speaking or farting). Nonetheless they addressed positions of need but didn't force it (e.g. went for the best value). Now I think there is a fair debate as to Mike WIlliams v. Brayleon Edwards. Edwards does have a penchant for dropping the ball but I like going to Edwards because of the speed. Speed forces safeties to commit which opens up the middle of the field for a TE (namely Winslow). I typically think its rough grading a draft right away (remember how the Eagles were panned for drafting corners even though they had 2 great ones.) but all in all a good day for the Browns

2) Craziest draft strategy was a race between Washington and Detroit. I'm not going to directly attack either. Mike Williams could be all that in which case Detroit is sitting pretty (assuming they have a quarterback that understands you need to get the ball to receivers on the fly not on one bounce) however 3 first round drafts on receivers is a risky thing. Washington gave up a hell of a lot for Jason Campbell. The rumors going around about Campbell is that he had a wonderlic score of 7 . Reading comic books let alone defenses is tough with a score like that.

3) Solid draft I have to give to Baltimore, Dallas and Minnesota. All got high qualities and addressed needs

4) Changing gears..is anyone suprised Jaret Wright got injured? And do the Yanks have anyone to replace him? As I said in an earlier post (not to tute my own horn, at least not in public) Yanks are injury prone and I'm not sure how well they can sustain those losses.

5) Its still April but if the Dodgers end up running away with NL West let alone the NL theres a lot of baseball prognasticators thatll need to do public apologies

6) I remember when some NBA pundits laughed when Detroit said they didn't want Carmello Anthony because Tayshoun Prince was that good. Nobody should be laughing now (well maybe over Darko) but as an all around team player its a good question who would rather want on your playoff team Prince or Anthony.

2 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

1) I can't be mad about Braylon Edwards - you're right, he's definately faster than Mike Williams. I just think it's a huge benefit to have guys who are 6-5 as WR. But, I'll cheer Braylon to success now.
3) The Minnesota Vikings didn't get Mike Williams, but they've had an incredible off-season (CB Smoot,FS Sharper, LB Cowart, LB Harris). I still say they win their division.
6) I really want to see some documentaries of "Weekends w/ Darko" on ESPN2. I think we need to learn more about this guy. For example, I could picture him buying groceries for Coach Larry Brown in order to hopefully get off the bench at some point.

MJ said...

A quick comment before I blog up my report from the NFL draft tomorrow...

Mikey's spot on about Jaret Wright. How did Brian Cashman think that Jaret Wright was going to make it through a whole season without getting hurt when his entire career has been plagued by injuries?

Frankly, this is my calling for Cashman's job. People in baseball keep on talking about how if/when Cashman is through with the Yanks he'll have a bunch of suitors because he's so brilliant. I just don't get it. How is letting John Lieber walk to Philly for less money than you're paying Wright a good idea? Why did you pay Lieber $1 million to rehab in 2003 when you weren't interested in getting him back for 2005 when he'd be 100% back from his injury? Why, in his place, would you take a guy whose only one major surgery away from being done forever? Cashman's a lousy GM. He's like all the other Yankee prospects in the minors -- overrated and worthless in real life but a valuable commodity with the shiny lustre of the interlocking NY. Just wait until some poor, unsuspecting small-market team hires Cashman and he drops a bomb on them...

I just realized that I pseudo blogged...