Thursday, August 10, 2006

Lawless In Oklahoma?

I’m normally not a big law-and-order guy when it comes to college sports. I think the NCAA has ridiculous rules, anti-common sense rules and a very selective (read: inconsistent) eye towards enforcement. But when I read stuff like this, I hope they throw the book at this kid and investigate OU’s program:

“‘I’m not a bad kid,’ the exiled Oklahoma QB Rhett Bomar told the New York Times. ‘I made a mistake and I have to live with it, but I own up to it.’”

I agree Bomar’s not a “bad kid” in that he didn’t maliciously harm anyone or commit a felony of any sort. But I don’t buy the whole “I made a mistake” act. He’s only sorry he got caught. Otherwise, he wouldn’t have made the same mistake over and over again, every single day for the whole summer. He earned several weeks’ worth of paychecks for a no-show job at a car dealership. That’s not an isolated incident, that’s the same mistake repeated over time. And I have to believe that this isn’t the first time something like this has happened in Norman, OK.

In light of Barry Switzer’s past transgressions nearly two decades ago and how Kelvin Sampson’s tenure ended with the OU basketball team, I get the feeling that OU’s boosters (and athletic department) are running wild out there. OU’s always seemed like a dirty school and I hope this is the tip of the iceberg that gets them busted down for good.

No comments: