Monday, August 21, 2006

Quickie Baseball Notes

As of this writing, the Kansas City Royals are down to perhaps their final “meaningful” game of the season. If the Detroit Tigers beat the Chicago White Sox and the Cleveland Indians beat the Kansas City Royals in Tuesday’s games, the Royals will become the first team to be mathematically eliminated from the 2006 playoffs. And if it’s not on Tuesday, then it seems nearly certain that it will be on Wednesday.

For the record, I had the Royals going right around this time.

Also, on a completely separate note, if I were Toronto GM J.P. Ricciardi, I’d fire John Gibbons first thing Tuesday morning. You can’t do this stuff and keep your job. This is the second incident where the manager has had a physical confrontation with a player and at this point it’s obvious to me that Shea Hillenbrand wasn’t wrong when he said “the ship was sinking” in Toronto.

Since I just got back from vacation, I’m tired and have a lot of stuff to catch up on. Look for more baseball notes in the next 24-48 hours...

No comments: