Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Most Creative Celebrations in Sports

I am not one to necessarily advocate taunting, obnoxious touchdown dances, and other silly antics. However, I really do get a kick out of thoughtful, original celebrations, or gestures after a touchdown, a dunk, a blocked shot, etc. So I thought it would be fun to think about some of the best “celebrations” in sports. Granted, I’m focusing more on the last few years because the athletes have started to make more original and comedical celebrations.

Here’s my top 12, based mainly on originality and comedic effect. I hope everyone will share their favorites as well, as there’s no way I’ve included all of them.


1) Sam Cassell’s “I have big balls”. For those non-NBA fans out there, you are really missing out. Whenever Sam Cassell hits multiple 3s, takes over a game, etc., he puts his arms in a position to significy that he indeed has “big balls” and they are much bigger than his opponent’s. This picture was hard to find, but it should be cherished.



2) Reggie Miller’s choke sign. This has become the ultimate taunting gesture, as it is used all across the streets of America. Really revolutionary when you think about it. I think Reggie used this in a game against the Knicks, directed at Spike Lee, but I’m guessing MJ has a better recollection of the moment.


3) Michael Jordan’s shrug – The shrug after he hit like EIGHT 3-pointers in the NBA Finals against the Portland Trailblazers. I mean, he purposely makes the shrug, as if to say, “I didn’t even know I was this good!” I like using this shrug after I go 1 for 10 from the field in a pick-up basketball game. My shrug signifies more of, “even I can hit a shot once in a while!”


4) Chad Johnson letter – please don’t fine me!
5) Chad Johnson playing golf using the pylon and the football
6) Chad Johnson giving CPR to the football!
- I just kept thinking of how many creative moments Chad Johnson has had. Plus I found a website with all of the pictures.


7) Lebron James lighting his hand on fire
– not sure if anyone saw this outside of Cleveland. But after making 3-straight 3-pointers in a random regular season game, Lebron pretended one hand was a lighter and lit his other hand on FIRE. It was aweseome, and was very creative.

8) Mutumbo’s Finger-wagging – “No, no, no, no, no” – Mutumbo started doing this after he would block a shot. I now do this when I refuse to do favors for people I know. Of course, it’s just not as cool without having a really long finger.

9) TO’s shake your pom-pom – You have to be confident in your sexuality to pull this off. And have rhythm!

10) Ickey Woods Shuffle. Absolutely classic.









11) Dirty Bird – Jamal Anderson did this. Just like Ickey Woods, he took his team to the Super Bowl where they lost, then they both tore up their knees the following seasons. It’s quite eery. You would almost have to warn other RBs to not have their own dance.

12) Merton Hanks Chicken neck – He does that crazy head shake thing. This isn’t safe to do for 99.7% of the population. Unfortunately, I can't get the picture to load.

No comments: