Monday, July 02, 2007

Five Words I Never Thought I'd Say

"Hats off to Frank Thomas."

Not just because of hitting his 500th home run - which in and of itself is a tremendous milestone - but for what he said afterward:

"It means a lot to me, because I did it the right way, and I busted my butt since college and I've always worked hard in that weight room to be strong, and I'm a big guy and I've been blessed with this talent. So I could care less about what others have done. I know that what it took for me to get to 500 home runs - it was a lot of work."

Not as forceful as I would have liked - but I have been waiting for a statement like that from a guy like Thomas (or Griffey or Thome) for years. I read Thomas' words to be a subtle but still strong repudiation of steroids. Thomas came up to the majors as a big guy, always hit for power, and although we cannot be certain, I'm of the opinion that he is simply a naturally gifted power hitter who never took the juice. Guys like that - whose phenomenal numbers are cheapened by the likes of Bonds and Big Mac - are the ones who should be speaking out, advocating testing and harsh punishments for those who try and cheat. It is only through the leadership of players who understand why baseball needs to be rid of steroids that the problem can be solved in spite of Bud Selig, Donald Fehr, Barry Bonds, and all the others who have perpetuated this scandal.

When he played for the White Sox, I absolutely detested Big Frank. I still hate him, actually. But I respect him a whole lot more.

Way to go, Frank - for reaching 500, and for doing it the right way.

No comments: