Sunday, July 01, 2007

Who's Now? Who Cares?!?!

I have not been this blog's biggest ESPN critic - but I have reached boiling point. Did anyone see the latest crap on SportsCenter? "Who's Now" is the network's 32-player tournament to determine the "ultimate sports star".

Go ahead and digest that for a minute. It'll give me a chance to try and calm down.

Ok - are they fucking serious? Is this really a productive use of anyone's time? Assume for a moment that either (a) the "ultimate sports star" is something that mere mortals can determine, or (b) that this determination has any value of any kind, somewhere in this galaxy. Is the nearly nine on-air minutes dedicated to this epic battle more valuable then, say, additional highlights of some big baseball games (Dodgers-Padres, Twins-Tigers), or the MLB All-Star Rosters, or NBA draft analysis, or the U.S. Women's Open, or ... shit, even the NHL is more important!

This is just utter crap. It's totally useless programming. I don't get upset over bad ESPN analysts, because at least they (usually) discuss items of sports interest, even if I disagree with their logic or positions. But when Keyshawn Johnson and Michael Wilbon debate whether Tiger Woods or Matt Leinart has the better entourage of Hollywood friends, I respond with total silence - because I don't fucking care because this means absolutely nothing and I give more thought to the process by which paint dries then I care about this incredibly stupid horseshit.

End rant now.

No comments: