Thursday, July 31, 2008

Culture Shock

Beyond the perception of compromised officiating and league-mandated results, beyond the fact that the regular season is too long and too meaningless, we have the real root cause of why the NBA is moving closer and closer to irrelevance: players whose behavior and utterances are so offensive that tolerance for it is reaching its nadir.

This, in a nutshell, is why more and more people are turning away from the NBA.

Holy shit, Ron Artest can’t truly believe that he’s representing his culture, can he? The last time I checked, African-American culture was not actually centered on racist, homophobic, and violent behavior. The last time I checked, Ron Artest wasn’t being saluted as a future leader of African-American youth. He might be a hero to those that think its cool to be an uneducated and violent piece of shit but I’d bet that the average black guy on the street doesn’t think much of Artest, let alone see him as a leader of their culture (keeping in mind that I’m not even sure “culture” is the appropriate nomenclature here).

I sound like a frightened honkey but I’m really not frightened at all. I’m just appalled that, so many years later, Artest still doesn’t understand that his actions during the brawl in Detroit are nothing to be proud of. The guy’s clueless. For that reason alone, I’m convinced that Yao Ming is right; this was a bad trade. There’s no way you can win with a guy that doesn’t know the meaning of the word responsibility.

Culture...man, I’m still shaking my head over that one...

No comments: