Sunday, May 15, 2005

Chris Mathews has infected Bristol U

= .


If my readers haven't picked yet I don't have a particular affinity for the national media. I don't think the those covering politics do a good job and frankly those that cover sports over at Britol U (better known as ESPN) don't do things better. This is not to say I dislike beatwriters and local columnist. I don't think that the talking heads that appear on ESPN are complete idiots or assholes or both (well somtimes see above picture) but they're afflicted by what I call Chris Mathews syndrome. They're like autistic monkeys in the sense that they can only 1) cover one topic at a time and 2) the coverage is superficial because its done so in an incrediably lazy manner. How much prep you think Steven A. Smith needs to scream obscenities or bash something that he doesn't understand (which apparently is anything more complex than saying "I'm Steven A. Smith")?

At Bristol U they have two baseball topics: The Red Sox and the Yankees. This year in a downsizing move aimed at increasing profitability, they've only covered the Yankess. There's the perpetual coverage of the Yankees slump, Giambi's wiffs, Steinbrenner's dinner menu, the latest Yankees winning streak, and I think I heard Mike Lupica would start doing weekly updates on A-Rod's eye color.

Nonetheless here's a few stories that are not centered on the Yanks...

1) Clint Barnes, SS Colorado Rockies...Currently batting .386. His swing is as smooth as Natalie Portman's ass (and yes I can say ass on this blog). The one bright spot in the otherwise abysmal (I believe they term that "rebuilding" these days).

2) Billy Beane - Genius No More? Waaay back in March I said Oakland would end up in 4rth Place (go ahead check...I dare you). Guess what right now, theyre in 4rth (well tied but lets not get tied up in semantics) and have lost 7 in a row. The hitting is awful. The pitching is so-so. They don't even have decent hot dogs in the stadium. Yep the bottom has fallen out of Oakland. Mark my words Los Athletics will be in last place at the end of the season.

3) The ChiSox- Still hate them and they should rightfully be ignored as to avoid encouraging them .

4) Milwaukee - The BrewCrew have been in rebuilding mode since in 1862 when their best players got drafted and sent over to defeat New York in the draft riots. Today, however, behind decent starting pitching headlined by Ben Sheets, outstanding bullpen led by Derrick Turnbrow (no really) and young hitting led by Presidential hopeful John McCain. This year they have a good shot at being 2nd in the Central when the dust settles.

5) I would mention something about the NBA but frankly despite some drama and generally superstar play (see true MVP Dwayne Wade at work) it just doesn't have any appeal. Ah well.

4 comments:

Gutsy Goldberg said...

First off, that was a great comparison between a batter's swing and Natalie Portman's ass. Brilliant.

As one of the remaining 19 fans of the NBA, I must point out that there is some great basketball being played in the Pacers-Pistons series, and even the Suns-Mavs series. Stephen A. Smith may ruin the coverage of course by focusing only on the brawl and the fact that Steve Nash played on the Mavs last year and completely ignoring all other issues. Nonetheless, it's quality basketball, and I'd recommend it.

MJ said...

I'm no longer a die-hard NBA fan but I must concur with Gutsy on this. This playoff season has been pretty entertaining thus far. I just hope the Suns beat the Mavs. I don't want Don Nelson to have any joy in his life.

Mighty Mike said...

I stand corrected. The Suns-Mavs series, which I finally stayed up for, really is entertaining. But you can not convince me that the Pacers-Pistons series with an average score hovering below the current temperature is any way enjoyable.

B. Hutchens said...

Two comments about Clint:

1) His name is actually Clint BarMes not Barnes, only those coming from the trailer park in Vincennes IN would have the last name Barmes which leads to point #2.

2) From going to a game at the local wiffleball stadium AKA Coors Field, Clint's opening music for when he steps to the plate is some really crappy country song. I am sorry but Travis Tritt or some Deliverance fool wailing at the top of his lungs makes me lose total respect for him.