Monday, May 09, 2005

Summer Reading

Well its officially Summer and by officially I mean its finally above 70 here in Columbus for more than a few hours. As such with classes winding down I figured I would do a public service announcment and provide link a book review to the latest hit baseball book:

Three Nights in August

this of course is a nice antithesis to the previously discussed:
Moneyball

(the link is an interesting series of discussions between Rob Neyer and James Surowiecki about Moneyball and Billy Beane) Nonetheless I figure with the summer upcoming everyone could use a little bit more reading material and what better way to announce cool sports books than via blogging...

3 comments:

Mighty Mike said...

P.S. if anyone does read the Neyer discussions make sure you click on Wednesday and Thursday as they are continuations of the discussions....

MJ said...

The review of "Three Days..." said it all. The book is a bit too reverential of LaRussa and the old-school.

I love old-school but there's just no question that the stat geeks have a point that old-schoolers don't want to accept. I guess it boils down to the fact that I really dislike LaRussa and don't think that I could read a book about him that spends a lot of time up his ass.

MJ said...

PS -- Neyer is the Devil. Anyone that thinks Jeter isn't good and conconcts stats to "prove it" can kiss my hairy ass.